Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Not 100% cafe related but certainly food related so I hope my question is well received in this thread!

I'm planning trip to Sandown this coming Friday for my girlfriend and I's anniversary. It will be my first trip to Sandown and I was hoping for some recommendations for (OPEN) restaurants/cafes on the beach front, or if you recommend eating at the airfield and walking to the beach front? Weather is looking ok-ish, probably not the warmest day.

Looking forward to your feedback!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sandown airport food is recommended and a walk to the beach afterwards for an ice cream. Alternatively, the Beach Hut at Bembridge if you fancy good seafood.

https://isleofwightbeachcafe.co.uk/

Edit: I’ve just noticed that the Beach Hut is ‘closed for refurbishment’, although there’s not much to the building to refurbish. Have a look on the Sandown Facebook page for their latest food.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Wed May 05, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CessnaWarrior liked this
By Trent772
All changed but still a grand day out.

Lee on Solent

Lands End for an excellent lunch sandwich, then back to Yeadon via all points Ireland !

Aiming for Wick and Newtonards tomorrow, Not sure on Friday, but we will end up at Headcorn to drop the trainer off before back to Yeadon for gin and medals all being well.

Like the idea of Sandown for luncheon......
Iceman wrote:Sandown airport food is recommended and a walk to the beach afterwards for an ice cream. Alternatively, the Beach Hut at Bembridge if you fancy good seafood.

https://isleofwightbeachcafe.co.uk/

Edit: I’ve just noticed that the Beach Hut is ‘closed for refurbishment’, although there’s not much to the building to refurbish. Have a look on the Sandown Facebook page for their latest food.

Iceman 8)

Thank you so much Iceman, we will follow your lead. Looks like the WX forecast has improved so we could be on for a lovely fly out!
By Trent772
Settled on Newtonards for luncheon.....

Most excellent - I stayed on the ham sandwich and the other two had tasty Thai inspired dishes.

Superbly organised in in outside tent thing with great service and value.

Where tomorrow.........

Have to end up at Headcorn around 1400
By Lefty
Following a quick phone around this morning:

Old Buck - no cafe just self service snacks
Wellesbourne - no refreshments
Wolverhampton - Cafe closed - but "Excellent" catering truck parked next to outdoor seating
By Highland Park
Lefty wrote:Following a quick phone around this morning:

Old Buck - no cafe just self service snacks
Wellesbourne - no refreshments
Wolverhampton - Cafe closed - but "Excellent" catering truck parked next to outdoor seating

I'm advised by the couple who run the café at Old Buck that it will reopen the week of 17 May with a revised menu and possibly extended opening hours (but I don't yet know what that means in reality)....

Ian
Well, we finished our Round Britain Graze in Headcorn and a darned fine place indeed. Super warm welcome, great caff and a lovely sandwich.

Then I was let loose solo !

I am going for a long lie down now for the weekend...... :thumleft:
ChampChump liked this
By MichaelP
I’m away next week and so I thought I’d give the MX-5 a run... Where to?
The long run to Popham, or the short run to Blackbushe?
I decided Blackbushe, but perhaps this wasn’t the best decision, but it wasn’t a bad one.

In an exploratory vain I was interested to see the new café...
Was I disappointed by it? No.
Would I enthusiastically go out of my way to go there again? No.
But maybe I’ll take a trip there later in the year to see how it settles down.

The renovation has produced a professional, clean, café, but without character.
I went through the open door... There were three choices of cake. Clearly there had been people with taste in there before me as there were only two pieces of apple cake left, and now there would be one.
I ordered my piece, and a cup of tea, and this was duly delivered to one of the new picnic tables outside.
Thoughtfully these picnic tables have wheelchair gaps.
There were few people sitting outside the Pathfinder Café in the cold breeze. At least we wouldn’t be attacked by Mosquitos.

The door from the café directly into Blackbushe Aviation has gone, and I noticed the changed space within the school has been set up with briefing tables. The flying school has been renovated inside as well.
I went in, said hello to a couple of instructors in the tea room, and then walked out.
I paid my membership in November...

After tea and cake I had a little walk about, but found nothing to make me stop for a while.
I stood in the car park... one of the regulars drove in, drove around, eyes forward, and drove out again... Obviously he saw no cars belonging to people he knew, and so decided not to stay.
It’s a contrast to Popham where you usually find company to have a chat with.
I was rather hoping to see Mark at Blackbushe...
Trent772 wrote:Well, we finished our Round Britain Graze in Headcorn and a darned fine place indeed. Super warm welcome, great caff and a lovely sandwich.

Good to put a face to a name, come and see us again.
Trent772 liked this
By XX
Yet another thumbs up for Beccles and its cafe.

And Trent, if that was you leaving Headcorn in a blue RV, we arrived home just too late (and with radio failure) to say hello.
By Trent772
XX wrote:Yet another thumbs up for Beccles and its cafe.

And Trent, if that was you leaving Headcorn in a blue RV, we arrived home just too late (and with radio failure) to say hello.

RV...... Ha......... PC-12 :pirat: