Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If anybody but me has this problem, the solution is

Press the Windows Key,

Settings,

Update & Security,

Click View Update History

Click Uninstall updates

Click Security Update for Windows (KB5000802)

Click Uninstall

Reboot the PC when prompted.

Worked a treat, and hopefully this might save somebody else ranting about it for a couple of hours not knowing what the problem is.

G
By Genghis the Engineer
Peter Kelly wrote:What is Memory map?

A mapping app that will run on just about anything, and lets you buy and switch between a really wide range of charts- CAA, OS, marine, road- and both run them on your mobile devices and print out sections.

Basic, cheap, functional and very stable

G
Annoying though the issue undoubtedly is, I strongly suggest waiting for the Memory Map update (or using the beta matthew_w100 mentions above) and not uninstalling operating system security updates. The security updates are for your protection against the mass of malware out there trying to steal your data, hold it to ransom, access your online banking/investments and the rest.
kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
Fortunately like most people, Windows' native defences aren't my only protection.

Interestingly, my PC had developed another problem recently, which is that it was garbling jpg images printed directly from file explorer. Deleting that security update seems to have fixed that too.

Security measures that stop the device actually working properly aren't much use. Similarly the security software my bank asked me to install a while ago (something called Rapport) routinely blocked me from using the PRTSCR key effectively, which I use quite a lot for various reasons - so that had to go as well.

G
By leiafee
NickC wrote:Annoying though the issue undoubtedly is, I strongly suggest waiting for the Memory Map update (or using the beta matthew_w100 mentions above) and not uninstalling operating system security updates. The security updates are for your protection against the mass of malware out there trying to steal your data, hold it to ransom, access your online banking/investments and the rest.

There was a known issue with that particular one (KB...802) this month though. It was all over the tech news. I spent hours with customers over it.

Missing huge lumps of printouts, or in some cases outright BSODing. Microsoft claim to have patched the patch now though, it so next set off updates should restore any “gaps” in security without wrecking printing.

Quite a few vendors released their own patches to their software in the meantime to work around it.
kanga liked this