Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
SO finally (according to N/Weald facebook) they plan to start charging for landing at North Weald.

Gone now are the days of a quick drop in for a fuel up and a quick cuppa while John fills the tanks :-(

Its a shame as it was a handy refuelling point and well priced too.

I wonder if it will impact their fuel sales and cafe sales.
@TheFarmer I think the implication is that there are people so blindly against actually paying for a service (a humungous runway in good condition) that they'll spend twenty or thirty quid flying to a cheaper destination to save the £12 landing fee.

:scratch:

I know. Beats me too.

Rob P
Iceman liked this
Rob P wrote:@TheFarmer I think the implication is that there are people so blindly against actually paying for a service (a humungous runway in good condition) that they'll spend twenty or thirty quid flying to a cheaper destination to save the £12 landing fee.

:scratch:

I know. Beats me too.

Rob P

Ah, and then he will moan about it closing and being built on because it wasn’t viable after everyone refused to pay £12 to land. :roll:

I simply don’t get it.
Lefty wrote:
TLRippon wrote:You know, somehow I always managed to pay a landing fee at North Weald.

Me too?
Who hasn’t been paying ?

There hasn't been a landing fee at North Weald until now. But visitors to The Squadron were 'invited' to pay - this money going to The Squadron, not to the airfield owner/operator.
At least now you will be contributing to the up keep and running of the airfield.
We’re the squadron runn8ng a scam then?
There was a sign on the door saying “Please pay landing fees in the office”. You walked down the end and a chap in a pin stripe suite would say “landing fee ? That’ll be £12 please”. I’m pretty certain he was giving out receipts as well.

I’d hate to think I’ve been ripped off all those times I’ve paid this guy £12.00
Hawkwind liked this
Squadron “landing” fees were FBO fees - one has paid to use their facility and ramp space etc.

It’s small enough that nobody to my knowledge had really complained.

North Weald has never had a landing fee for as long as I can remember.
Last edited by James Chan on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lefty wrote:We’re the squadron runn8ng a scam then?
There was a sign on the door saying “Please pay landing fees in the office”. You walked down the end and a chap in a pin stripe suite would say “landing fee ? That’ll be £12 please”. I’m pretty certain he was giving out receipts as well.

https://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/landing-fees-for-airfield-users/ refers to the Council decision. AFAIK any fees charged by operators on the airfield were "facilities charges" to cover use of their area and their own landing cards etc. The runway is a great facility and worthy of a landing fee of course, but I never paid one when going direct to some of the hangars!
I only discovered the other side of the airfield existed and had a cafe after the Squadron closed down in 2019. In the many visits there I don’t think I was ever given an option to go anywhere other than the squadron. I guess I lacked some kind of insider knowledge.
I’m not complaining about the fee, it was numpence, just mentioning.
So did the squadron reopen and is it still charging their fee over the new landing fee?