Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By LysanderV8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have been advised by my maintenance organisation that, as a result of the UK leaving EASA, the regime for our PA28 will need to change so that, effectively, an annual is required every 100 hours. We do about 180 - 200 hours a year, so I am concerned that this will increase costs considerably.

I have not yet delved into the mire of the CAA website, but I wonder if others with greater knowledge that I could tell me if that is indeed the case.

MTIA
By xtophe
I would think your maintenance organisation is confusing with the introduction of AMP in Part ML.
(See ML.A.302 (d)(1))
But I'm also surprise you didn't had to move to it 1 or 2 year ago already.
By Edward Bellamy
Unless I have completely missed something, there have been no changes to the maintenance requirements as a result of leaving EASA, sounds like they are talking about transitioning to Part-ML, which is an EASA regulation but lives on in the retained EU law.

I think the LAMP regime was 50/150/Annual whereas ML is 100/Annual, which can turn out more expensive but ML has potentially other advantages. http://www.caa.co.uk/Part-ML/ is probably the best starting point from the point of view of trawling the CAA website.

You really need to review with someone who knows their stuff the interaction between the aircraft's maintenance needs and the regulatory requirements to come up with the most cost effective approach to it. If your maintenance organisation really believes what they have told you, they may not be best placed to do so.
By User72
Your maintenance organisation does not seem to be very on-the-ball. CAA went on the road a year ago (pre-Covid) explaining what Part ML meant, so they are at least a year behind, and actually more than 2 years behind as you should have changed your maintenance programme 2 1/2 years ago. As Ed has indicated the change has introduced some opportunities if you understand the rules which it appears your maint org does not. It does depend on the type of aircraft you fly as the the opportunities that might be available to you. Perhaps time to investigate another maintenance provider?
wigglyamp, Cessna571 liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Both EASA and CAA seem to delight in making maintenance documentation as obscure as humanly possible these days. I'm full of admiration for those engineers (including ours) who seem to be able to navigate through it most of the time.....
LysanderV8 liked this