Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gas Guzzler
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone know, if I connect a GPS source to my TT31 transponder, does it need to bebset to "ALT" to transmit ADSB signals? or will it transmit just set to "ON"?
Ideas anyone?
By G-SLOT
I have this setup in a Mooney - TT31 hooked up to a GNS430W for an approved ADS-B Out signal. I’ve never operated it in the ON position (only ALT) but, when I initially power up and the transponder is in the SBY mode, it does display the ADS-B lat/lon position. No idea whether lat/lon would be broadcast in the ON (vs ALT) setting but can’t imagine operating on anything other than the ALT setting anyway.

I seem to recall that a fair bit of information is available on the Trig website.
By riverrock
It transmits ADS-B in Ground, On and Alt modes.
In the installation manual:
Whenever a valid position is received by the transponder
and the transponder is in any mode other than Standby, ADS-B Extended Squitters should be
observed on the transponder test set.
By Gas Guzzler
riverrock wrote:It transmits ADS-B in Ground, On and Alt modes.
In the installation manual:
Whenever a valid position is received by the transponder
and the transponder is in any mode other than Standby, ADS-B Extended Squitters should be
observed on the transponder test set.

Many thanks, just what I needed!
By Gas Guzzler
Dave W wrote:@Gas Guzzler, simply for nosiness - why did you want to know? Happy for you to decline to answer!

No problem at all, sometimes other pilots fly my aircraft and one or two of them are reluctant or don't want to select "ALT". With ADSB out they will at least be visible to some who have invested in EC devices.
By Dave W
Thanks, GG. :thumleft:

They might want to take a look at SERA, though:
SERA.13010 Pressure-altitude-derived information
(a) When the aircraft carries serviceable Mode C equipment, the pilot shall continuously operate this mode unless otherwise dictated by ATC.

SERA still applies as law for 2 years at least, and I'll bet most of it (including this) is likely to continue beyond that date.

Edit: Actually, the CAA have thought of that, and SERA is already covered under the 2018 Withdrawal Act.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By G-JWTP
Gas Guzzler wrote:
Dave W wrote:@Gas Guzzler, simply for nosiness - why did you want to know? Happy for you to decline to answer!

No problem at all, sometimes other pilots fly my aircraft and one or two of them are reluctant or don't want to select "ALT". With ADSB out they will at least be visible to some who have invested in EC devices.

To me that's completely foolish.

G-JWTP
Gas Guzzler, Dave W liked this
By Gas Guzzler
G-JWTP wrote:
To me that's completely foolish.

G-JWTP

Couldn't agree more, but even my old instructor used to say leave it off as it bothers the airline boys trigering their TCAS. :scratch:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Gas Guzzler wrote:

They know that they are contravening the ANO?
By tripacer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Gas Guzzler wrote:

They know that they are contravening the ANO?

And I guess anyone that can see the ADSB signal will know that the plane has a transponder capable of transmitting ALT?
By GAFlyer4Fun
tripacer wrote:...
And I guess anyone that can see the ADSB signal will know that the plane has a transponder capable of transmitting ALT?

Not necessarily. The ADSB signal might be from a portable unit and not a panel mount transponder.

Portable kit for EC such as SE2 includes altitude in the ADSB transmission.