Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I understand hard surfaces allow continued use of an aerodrome in more weather conditions... wheels don't get stuck in the mud, propellers whip up less pebbles, and so on.

But roughly how much more would a hard surface cost to maintain compared to grass of the same area?
As hard areas, particularly those of WW2 vintage, continue to age the 'whipping up of pebbles' becomes a major issue there, rather than on grass.

Rob P
James Chan wrote:I understand hard surfaces allow continued use of an aerodrome in more weather conditions... wheels don't get stuck in the mud, propellers whip up less pebbles, and so on.

But roughly how much more would a hard surface cost to maintain compared to grass of the same area?

To lay a concrete pad work on approx £120 per cubic meter mixed on site in the truck, depending on we’re you live.
By Flyin'Dutch'
James Chan wrote:I understand hard surfaces allow continued use of an aerodrome in more weather conditions... wheels don't get stuck in the mud, propellers whip up less pebbles, and so on.

How long is a piece of runway?

Length, width, surface and soil quality, weight bearing requirements, surface requirements, planning status etc.

Sywell's Hard Runway - 1300 m long 1 Taxiway and apron was something like 1.5M 20 years ago.
By PeteSpencer
Our airstrip grass runway was laid in 1970 on the western end of the old E/W RAF wartime airfield (USAAF Station 136.)

The original concrete of the mains was taken up for road building ballast in the early 60s.

But while our grass is firm all year round , well drained over gravel and on the highest bit of land in the area (-those wartime surveyors sure knew how to pick the right spot-) the remaining bits of main concrete haven’t fared too well ;
The apron of the only other hangar is a bit like Felixstowe beach ........ :roll: