Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sad news. He didn’t quite make his 100th birthday (coming up soon) and get that special birthday card from his wife. He looked to be at death’s door on his recent release from hospital.

Iceman
I met him once. I had been advised that he liked to comment (for want of anything better) on one's tie. So, being a Member of the RAeS of which he was an Honorary Fellow and one-time Honorary President, I bought a nice new tie specially for the occasion. As predicted, he studied the tie and, indeed, lifted it up for a closer look. However, he admitted it was familiar but couldn't place it, so I had to tell him!
T6Harvard liked this
He visited our school to open a new technology area (had robotic arms and a wind tunnel) in 1998. I didn't get to meet him but followed him around as host cameraman (I still have my Buckingham Palace press pass). He seemed to enjoy chatting to the students and learning about the new technologies and I was told he enjoyed his visit there.

Link to the video below:
https://youtu.be/nAaC74UZkAM

Ashley
By ChampChump
A very intelligent man who - apparently - was an early advocate for GPS and keen to impress on ears around him that it was vital to modern life and that there had to be a back up. Notice was taken.

My connection? I saw him when I was four or five. He was opening the pier.
By Hooligan
He came to my school by Royal Barge (a Wessex) and landed by the tennis courts. Actually visiting the Oceanographic research facility next door (we were 25 miles from the sea...) but had time to chat to a few of my fellow pupils. Got us out of lessons for half an hour to welcome him...

Just reading through his 50 best off the cuff remarks - number 1 being "where did you get that hat?" allegedly to his wife at her coronation.

He'll be missed. RIP.
By patowalker
He was in Argentina to play polo and attend some functions. Reviewing a parade of British Legion members on the grounds of the Belgrano Club in Buenos Aires, he said to my father "You didn't go to the tie sale". Dad was chuffed that his RAF tie looked well used.
kanga liked this