Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
It’s not that much different to “QSY”. If I’m going to another frequency of my choice I’ll tell the controller.

So Squawk Enroute is easier to say
But I think it would be good to read back what code you are actually going to set
By Rob P
You do idly have to wonder if this latest bit of nonsense was driven by an individual basking in his / her success after getting the "Traffic sighted / Traffic not sighted" bollox enshrined in 413?

Rob P
By NDB_hold
marioair wrote:It’s not that much different to “QSY”. If I’m going to another frequency of my choice I’ll tell the controller.

So Squawk Enroute is easier to say
But I think it would be good to read back what code you are actually going to set

Agreed - especially if you are IFR OCAS, which I often am, or planning to be.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Of course, we could always get a squawk code for our flight on the ground before departure and keep that same squawk all the way to our destination. Less airtime. Less chance of a mistake. Less workload for the controller. Less workload for the pilot. I know! We could call it "flight following"....
skydriller, T6Harvard, PaulSS and 2 others liked this
By riverrock
Alternatively there could be a joined up system, where your flight ID / registration gets picked up by Mode-S, and a central computer system keeps track of your flight and who you are talking too. No need for Mode-A or "pass your message"...
Iceman liked this
By chevvron
T67M wrote:Of course, we could always get a squawk code for our flight on the ground before departure and keep that same squawk all the way to our destination. Less airtime. Less chance of a mistake. Less workload for the controller. Less workload for the pilot. I know! We could call it "flight following"....

Not possible for VFR traffic in the UK for various reasons and in any case, the first controller you called would still have to formally identify you and verify your 'C' as is done already with IFR departures from airfields without their own radar eg a Fairoaks departure joining CAS is allocated a code and an 'after departure' frequency prior to takeoff and is transferred to Farnborough just after departure but the Farnborough controller still has to ask for an 'ident' and altitude confirmation.
By foxmoth
riverrock wrote:Alternatively there could be a joined up system, where your flight ID / registration gets picked up by Mode-S, and a central computer system keeps track of your flight and who you are talking too. No need for Mode-A or "pass your message"...

Not sure how this does away with “pass you message” if you are not entering CAS you don’t need to do this anyway as most CAS now has a listening squawk and if you do want to enter you will still need to call for a clearance
By chevvron
marioair wrote:It’s not that much different to “QSY”. If I’m going to another frequency of my choice I’ll tell the controller.

Where've you been for the last 20 years?
'QSY' was removed from '413 at least that time ago. :twisted:
By Iceman
And I’ve heard at least one Farnborough controller using the QSY term on numerous occasions in recent times (certainly within the last year).

Iceman 8)
JAFO, kanga liked this
By chevvron
Iceman wrote:And I’ve heard at least one Farnborough controller using the QSY term on numerous occasions in recent times (certainly within the last year).

Iceman 8)

Not everybody agreed with the CAA's decision.
By TopCat
Iceman wrote:And I’ve heard at least one Farnborough controller using the QSY term on numerous occasions in recent times (certainly within the last year).

Indeed. But let's not grass him up, it's so much easier :)
JAFO, AndyR, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By JonathanB
I’m sure we did this debate before. Just reply with the code you’re going to squawk rather than “that word” if it’s too much of a mouthful!
Dave W liked this
By G-JWTP
chevvron wrote:

Iceman 8)

Not everybody agreed with the CAA's decision.

Very few actually agree with much they come out with.

G-JWTP
By T67M
chevvron wrote:
T67M wrote:Of course, we could always get a squawk code for our flight on the ground before departure and keep that same squawk all the way to our destination. Less airtime. Less chance of a mistake. Less workload for the controller. Less workload for the pilot. I know! We could call it "flight following"....

Not possible for VFR traffic in the UK for various reasons [snip]

I'm sure it could be done if the will was there - after all, it has been done for many years in many other countries. The problem is that the will isn't there.
JAFO liked this