Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By IMCR
AlanM wrote:
IMCR wrote:Johnm - what a brilliant memory, and it was indeed the First and Last. Such a shame it closed, one of the treasures, it was. Never found anything quite like it on Alderney, sad to say. The Braye Beach started out very well, but I am not sure it quite kept its standards.

Yes, I have also watched yachts coming out of Braye Harbour west bound for Guernsey and going backwards with the engine at full tiltl The currents there are impressive as well, and with some nasty overfalls with wind against tide.

Maybe Alderney (as well as the others) will have a good year with the limitation on Interantional travel - I do hope so.

Anyone who hasnt been to Sark must go. Another complete gem. Fly to Guernsey and it is an easy boat trip over. There is an hotel in the middle of Sark where I stayed last time that is superb (Stocks). Great bar surrounded by fine malts! Just what us pilots need. Guernsey as airports go simply could not be more welcoming.

You could have sailed to Sark and used Stocks’ own mooring!

Herm is also worth seeing..... I love taling the boat there. As is the Ecrehous and the Minquieres which you can get to by one of the many Rib charters.

Staycation in the Channel Islands is the way forward!

Would their moorings not be in the harbour at Sark, or do you mean in Guernsey. With a fixed keel I am afraid that wouldnt work as of course the harbour dries out. The anchorage I have always used is around the back of the island with the steps up through the rocks or rib around to the harbour. Last time it was by air, so it was one of the charters over to the wall just outside the harbour which doesnt dry but I dont think suitable for leaving a yacht in any swell, and I seem to recall not generally permitted. The anchorage is one of those incredible spots. Usually a couple of times a day the local pod of dolphins makes it way through the anchored boats and makes everyone smile - it is also stunning. Sailing there as lovely as Sark is, I would stay on the boat. :D
By IMCR
Ah interesting, thank you. Yes Creux dries as you will know. Derrible Bay is beautiful, I do know it from just one visit.

For pilots if you are staying for a night the pub at the top of the harbour on Sark aint too bad either. I know everyone stops off there, but for those staycations well worth taking in when you fly to Guernsey.
johnm wrote:No wonder controllers need training :shock: That kind of display should have been obsolete in 1985 never mind 2015 :shock:

They served their purpose. Albeit this next picture is the simulator, we were still on trusty paper strips back then as well...

Whilst back in the ops room the odd decoration was allowed...

And just for the sake of it whilst I’m digging these out, the one and only Concorde parallel approach into LHR. Photo taken by a chum whilst the two Concordes were on a 5nm final to 09L and 09R...

UncleT, Andrew Sinclair, Cookie and 2 others liked this
By IMCR
IMCR wrote:Is that the gentleman who told me off for being too high on the Burnham cut through, he scared me then, and seeing his rather gruff expression, I know why. :D only kidding.

Is that BOAC I can see on the tail fin in the background?
By chevvron
Mike Tango wrote:Here’s an example of a TC approach sector radar display. In this case Heathrow taken circa 2015, but it’s not changed much in the interim. Lack of traffic due to it being almost midnight as opposed to viral pandemics. If you can make them out squares are airfields, x and small + VORs and other relevant waypoints. The various lines delineating relevant airspace boundaries. LHR in the middle, the parallel lines extending outwards the runway centrelines with range markings every 2nm and the circles range rings at 10nm intervals. But of note, not all possible airspace nor waypoints that might otherwise exist at the time are delineated on the display. Same applies to the other TC sectors, it’s all very sector/role specific...

It's what is NOT depicted that's interesting; no LL CTR boundary or LC CTR/CTA boundary.
Strangely the TF ATZ and LFA are depicted plus GW and SS airspace!!
chevvron wrote:It's what is NOT depicted that's interesting; no LL CTR boundary or LC CTR/CTA boundary.
Strangely the TF ATZ and LFA are depicted plus GW and SS airspace!!

Available if required, but wouldn’t be on for routine daytime ops on LL director positions...

IMCR wrote:
Is that BOAC I can see on the tail fin in the background?

I’m not that old!

If you mean the tail just to the right behind me, almost certainly Lufthansa parked there.

Top left, the tail with the crown, was the BA livery at the time.
By Ibra
I asked for Basic Service 3000ft overhead LAVRI and I was told the same not to use IFR waypoints for VFR, I mentioned I am IFR and it's OVC007 today, then long silence :lol: I decided to avoid debating and told them now overhead Challock but they could not find the place, then I throw ok, 40nm South-East of London, can you activate the FPL and gave departure time :lol:

I was departing Stapleford to Rouen, it was icing at 4kft and I did not fancy controlled IFR with orbiting or getting vectored all over the place around Southend or Detling, so I just lunched and stayed at 2000ft with 7000 on TXP in IMC, Stapleford AG did not have acess to FPLs that day, so I had to exceptionally call London Info to activate the flight plan as soon as possible, pitty one has to be in RT contact with FIS to cross FIR border or activate FPL before hitting EBOT+15min, otherwise I would not even bother talking just hold my breath stay down untill calling Lille/Rouen ATC
Ibra wrote:I asked for Basic Service 3000ft overhead LAVRI and I was told the same not to use IFR waypoints for VFR

I bet that you were popular. Why not just say “South of Rochester (or Detling VOR)” as opposed to a RP only used on airway L9/UL9 for eastbound traffic?

(I assume that you knew that you were not talking to a sector not operating that airway.)

As has been said plenty on here - do what you want in terms of navving. But think about who you are talking to when giving obscure RPs. I am not sure if you were being clever/obtuse to the person you were talking to or a little ignorant in how aviation and ATC integrate.
Mike Tango, AlanC, AndyR liked this