Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With SkyDemon’s new ability to upload a route to the Avidyne FMS (ForeFlight has done this for some time), I plan as normal on SkyDemon and all route points unknown to the Avidyne FMS just become lat/long waypoints on transfer. Hence the route in SkyDemon and that in the Avidyne match exactly. I’ve never had an issue with reporting IFR reporting points on VFR flights.

Iceman 8)
G-JWTP wrote:We were also not allowed to take any at Swanwick either. Bit of a 'dual standard' me thinks, given a few photos here. Has any one got a few at W Drayton?

There's still dual standards in force today when it comes to taking photos at various units. What'll get you disciplined at one is not an issue at another, but never mind. So, anyway, regarding West Drayton and the old shrimp boat en-route ops room... the aviation classic 'Red One to London' has some shots taken in it...

G-JWTP liked this
By chevvron
Mike Tango wrote:
There's still dual standards in force today when it comes to taking photos at various units. What'll get you disciplined at one is not an issue at another, but never mind. So, anyway, regarding West Drayton and the old shrimp boat en-route ops room... the aviation classic 'Red One to London' has some shots taken in it...

But the 'shrimp boats' were never used because from day 1, individual 4 digit transponder codes assigned to each aircraft were displayed on the (horizontal) radar displays.
My watch handed over to the first crew to use that ops room at the end of evening shift and (on the old 4 watch roster of 3 days on/one off) we were on duty again next morning to take over from them after they'd 'only' had 6 airmisses (aiproxes nowadays) overnight.
By A le Ron
AlanM wrote:For me, VFR (or even IFR) flights using high level reporting points when at lower levels is a pita. We have around 90 IFR reporting points that we are expected to know..... so using high level ones generally means that I have to look at a high level chart and guess where it is. I have some pilots give the next point that is 100 miles away and have taken ages to find..... we often essentially google it on Skyvector if we have time.

Using IFR points when VFR is fine if they are known - but as said above, be aware that the ATCO may not have a clue. (And vice versa, I would never tell a VFR aircraft to route to any IFR RP unless it was in the FPL)

More annoyingly is when pilots file lat/long - that increases the guessing game!

Returning VFR from France, many years ago, during the Jersey zone transit, I was told to report SKERY. I had no idea where it was and spent ages scouring my CAA VFR paper charts for it - only to give up. It was some years later I discovered it was an IFR waypoint.
By AlanM
A le Ron wrote:Returning VFR from France, many years ago, during the Jersey zone transit, I was told to report SKERY. I had no idea where it was and spent ages scouring my CAA VFR paper charts for it - only to give up. It was some years later I discovered it was an IFR waypoint.

Hopefully people have stopped doing that in recent years. As others have said - if pilots use SKERY and other ‘local’ RPs almost continually when VFR it will inevitably lend to traffic being offered it.

I have no issue when pilots use the RPs like LELNA/ORIST to aim for when VFR thus avoiding the airway as it makes sense especially nowadays. Just avoid quoting those that are irrelevant to the sector that you are talking to.