Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was once told of a series of lessons that the regular flying partner (wife, in this instance) can do for safety purposes in the event of their partner becoming incapacitated.

My flying world is changing once again, and I’m about to embark back into the 4 seat spamcan bus-driver world due to (thankfully) having a wife who wants to fly more with the children.

However, I want her to be able to at least know how to do a damn good effort at landing should she need to, and basic radio operations, speed control, circuit understanding, and airframe settings for landing. I can teach her SkyDemon basics for picking an airfield and finding a radio frequency, but I’d like someone to get her competent and confident with getting the a/c down should she need to. Naturally, she will become more and more familiar with the procedures as she flys more with me in what we decide to buy, but I’d like her to be taught some good basics.

Call me over-cautious, but having been in the solo or +1 flying world for the last 15 years, I’m looking at family flying in a very different light and with a whole new level of responsibility.

Is there a name for this course? Is it a recognised thing?

PS I will be highly disappointed if I don’t get some serious grief about having an aircraft with a training wheel...
Last edited by TheFarmer on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Crash one
I think the Americans call it a “Pinch hitter course” just enough of the basics to survive.
Certainly a recognised thing.
By Nero
Isn't it this?

AOPA Flying Companions Certificate
The AOPA Flying Companions Certificate Course has been designed to increase the enjoyment, participation and confidence in flying for those who regularly accompany private pilots. This includes the safe recovery and landing at an appropriate airfield as a result of an emergency.

The course should be available from any flight training organisation that is a corporate member of AOPA. It has been structured to enable those who fly regularly with a Private Pilot Licence (PPL) holder to be more involved in the flight and, therefore, more confident when flying as a passenger.

How long did it take to convince her anyway?

~ Scott
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By T6Harvard
Indeed there are courses, previously called 'Pilot’s wife safety course', now called Safety Pilot Course :mrgreen:

AOPA have a syllabus here https://www.aopa.co.uk/training-safety/ ... urses.html

I think Nigel Willson runs one.

There are others if you google safety pilot course, but no legal minimum hours or syllabus, so the usual caution required when researching.

NB, of course you realise that MrsF will want her own licence then, don't you?!
By lobstaboy
@TheFarmer it's simply called a safety pilot course. Here's the first one that came up when I searched
https://www.redhillaviation.co.uk/train ... ot-course/
10 hours. So not cheap, but when it's needed it'll seem good value! And of course if it means that the rest of the family feel more secure when flying with you then you all benefit. Good stuff.
Beware (or not!) the obvious pitfall - she'll probably enjoy it so much she'll want to do the full PPL...

Edit: I see I type too slowly. Ah well, it was ever thus, sigh....
Last edited by lobstaboy on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Crash one
TheFarmer wrote:Thanks.

What does Pinch Hitter mean?!

You can manage at a pinch!
I think.
Something out of the baseball business.
By Trent772
When it comes to getting Doris engaged, I think it is more important to ask her who she likes within your close flying community. Then ask yourself is this person capable of showing Doris the ropes, to enable her to enjoy the tuition, be able to assess what is going on and to be able to recover a very traumatic situation and put the aeroplane back on the ground.

This does not need to be an Instructor as she will not hold a licence. More important to gain her trust with someone who can engage her and teach her without tempting her away as per Strictly Come Dancing.... :lol:

Mind you, if she is a Farmer's Doris, I am sure she can punch well above her weight :pirat:
By TheFarmer
Thanks Scott. Sounds ideal.

Very little convincing was needed thankfully. She loves flying (and flys very well when I fancy a break), but I feel it’s time to take it to another level of responsibility now that the kids (2 and 7 months) will be travelling with us frequently too.

Wow, was about to post the above and saw the other replies. Thanks all.

I do fear that when she starts, she will want to do the whole course! That’s fine with me. When I’m old and dribbly, she can be my chauffeur! :D
By TheFarmer
Trent772 wrote:When it comes to getting Doris engaged, I think it is more important to ask her who she likes within your close flying community. Then ask yourself is this person capable of showing Doris the ropes, to enable her to enjoy the tuition, be able to assess what is going on and to be able to recover a very traumatic situation and put the aeroplane back on the ground.

This does not need to be an Instructor as she will not hold a licence. More important to gain her trust with someone who can engage her and teach her without tempting her away as per Strictly Come Dancing.... :lol:

Mind you, if she is a Farmer's Doris, I am sure she can punch well above her weight :pirat:

Well, the only guys I know I can 100% trust who also fly brilliantly are Charlie66, AndyR and WideBody.

So, it looks like one of them will be doing it if they have time!
Trent772, AndyR liked this
By Nero
No worries. Mine will take a lot more convincing unfortunately!

Though something like this may help remove some of the fear. She has said "what if you have a heart attack"

My two are three and 9 weeks, but I'd love to take us all away somewhere one day

~ Scott
TheFarmer liked this
By proteus
The flying club I learned at had one, I think it was called the safety pilot course. Something along those lines. I thought it was a pretty good idea.

what about a 4 seater with the wheels in the correct positions? 170b, 180, jodel, maule, bearhawk, 4 seat supercub ?

Then you can keep the street cred, or whatever it is the kids call it these days
By TopCat
TheFarmer wrote:However, I want her to be able to at least know how to do a damn good effort at landing should she need to, and basic radio operations, speed control, circuit understanding, and airframe settings for landing. I can teach her SkyDemon basics for picking an airfield and finding a radio frequency, but I’d like someone to get her competent and confident with getting the a/c down should she need to.

If I've understood your scenario, presumably she has no desire to actually get her own licence? Or log hours of her own? Or fly from the left hand seat?

If this is really only about getting everyone down in one piece at the nearest airfield if you conk out, why don't you teach her?

Obviously if this is likely...

TheFarmer wrote:I do fear that when she starts, she will want to do the whole course!

.... then it would be better if she's logged the training hours from a real instructor. But other than that...
Last edited by TopCat on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.