Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveX
I've seen the question twice now in CPL exams/banks/courses. The correct answer is that it is not legal.

Read the air law quoted above again - 'unless another pilot is taking the controls'. Taking. A wife without a ppl is hardly a pilot!!
By Ben K
SteveX wrote:I've seen the question twice now in CPL exams/banks/courses. The correct answer is that it is not legal.

Read the air law quoted above again - 'unless another pilot is taking the controls'. Taking. A wife without a ppl is hardly a pilot!!

And how exactly would this rule be enforced..?

Also; does it matter?
By Crash one
TheFarmer wrote:I wish I’d never asked.

This place really has changed.

Par for the course. Ask a sensible question and you get a willy waving rule lickers bun fight.
At least you got the answer. Safety courses exist. :D
Ben K liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@SteveX, so you don't have a reference then? Just second-hand interpretation.

Unless you have a link to unambiguous definitive legislation, it's not prohibited and therefore it is not illegal.

And I don't think you do have such a link, since the question has come up multiple times over the years here, on PPRuNe and elsewhere and nobody yet appears to have come up with a link to any such law.

Now, if there is one then I'm Spartacus.

@TheFarmer - it has always been like this, and as always listen to the majority sense and discard the minority chaff.

It's such a pity when people go out of their way to find convoluted reasons Not, rather than look for simple reasons to Do.
Nick, mick w, proteus and 2 others liked this
By GrahamB
SteveX wrote:I've seen the question twice now in CPL exams/banks/courses. The correct answer is that it is not legal.

Clearly you didn’t read the rest of my posting, which demonstrates why your interpretation must be wrong.

The scenario being described isn’t a commercial operation.
TopCat liked this
By patowalker

I was a driver long before I got a driving licence.
flybymike liked this
By Hooligan
Far better that a responsible regular passenger has some idea of how to get the thing on the ground if the donkey in the left hand seat fails, whether they are shown the basics by a PPL or rather more formally by an instructor.

We probably all know of stories where a passenger has been talked down over the radio; off hand I can think of at least two in the UK and one in the US in the last two or three decades. Doubtless there are crash reports to be read where a PPL has expired in the air leaving his passengers to an awful eventual fate. The limited experience I have been given has left me with a reasonable and, I think, justifiable confidence that I could certainly get most light aircraft back onto a runway and probably in one piece too. (An airliner? Well, I'd give it a go... :lol: )

Talk Down by Brian Lecomber provides as good a reason as any why The Farmer should pursue this idea - and it's a terrific read as well!
By skydriller
Hooligan wrote:Far better that a responsible regular passenger has some idea of how to get the thing on the ground if the donkey in the left hand seat fails, whether they are shown the basics by a PPL or rather more formally by an instructor.

Absolutely. My GF/partner is very good at holding a heading and keeping it straight and level. We have gone through getting the radio to work and looking at the GPS map page, we have practiced turns, climbs, decents and have done several approaches to land - though as yet she has always (her choice) deferred to me at around a 100ft. In my book this is good enough, as my instructions are "fly to a big airport with fire engines", so as long as she can get to approximately the end of a 2km runway at 100ft or so I reckon she'll be OK just chopping the throttle at that point...

Regards, SD..
Charliesixtysix, Ben K liked this
By TopCat
skydriller wrote:.... as long as she can get to approximately the end of a 2km runway at 100ft or so I reckon she'll be OK just chopping the throttle at that point...

If you really want it to end up with her in one piece even if you're no longer of this world, I'd suggest at least do the "level off and try not to land" thing, and make sure she knows how the brakes work and how to steer on the ground.

Sod's law says there will be at least some crosswind, and if she has no idea how to stop, sod's law also says that there will be something unpleasant in the way after touching down at 60mph and then veering off the runway.
skydriller liked this
By nallen
Somehow disappointing that four pages in and no one has suggested the Farmer should just buy an aircraft with a ballistic parachute … :twisted:
Dave W, Charles Hunt, Paul_Sengupta and 9 others liked this
By skydriller
TopCat wrote:If you really want it to end up with her in one piece even if you're no longer of this world, I'd suggest at least do the "level off and try not to land" thing, and make sure she knows how the brakes work and how to steer on the ground.

Brakes and steering we have done (sorry, we were talking flying :oops: ), but no, I havent done that, though thats exactly what we have talked about as to how to get on the ground. Its hard to explain, but its not something I really wanted to push her into doing - when she wasnt comfortable being in control right down to a landing, I thought it better to leave it there - though we both know thats the important bit !!

Regards, SD..
By TopCat
skydriller wrote:Its hard to explain, but its not something I really wanted to push her into doing - when she wasnt comfortable being in control right down to a landing, I thought it better to leave it there - though we both know thats the important bit !!

No need to explain, I totally get it. My OH isn't comfortable even flying S&L at a good height and insists I take it back at the slightest bump. She's really happy only in smooth air. Once we get into flying a lot more as the pandemic recedes, I'm planning to apply a bit of, ahem, encouragement, as I'd really like her to survive if the worst happened to me.
skydriller liked this