Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:Get one of these

Preferably in a Cirrus, where you have the added protection of a parachute.

You're welcome.

nallen wrote:Somehow disappointing that four pages in and no one has suggested the Farmer should just buy an aircraft with a ballistic parachute … :twisted:

My reply was queued up while I read the rest of the thread.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nallen liked this
By kanga
TopCat wrote:..

Sod's law says there will be at least some crosswind, and if she has no idea how to stop, sod's law also says that there will be something unpleasant in the way after touching down at 60mph and then veering off the runway.

ISTR that the successful talkdown by a FI in Tower and a shepherding RAF Sea King of a non-pilot at ?Humberside after nightfall, after pilot had collapsed, had not confused him about steering on the ground and brakes. Probably sensible not to overload him. Anyway, as instructed after heavyish touchdown he did close the throttle, and presumably tried (obviously unsuccessfully) to steer with yoke as he had been in the air. He slewed off the runway, slowed down rapidly on the grass, and may have damaged undercarriage, prop and possibly more. But he survived, that's the main thing. :thumright:

Damage, with survival and maybe minor injury, is probably acceptable in these circumstances, although ground manoeuvring would probably be included in a properly structured course. But with throttle closed, excursion into presumably long grass would bring aircraft to a halt fairly quickly, and would probably not lead to major injury. If the aircraft is reusable, that's a mere bonus.
Last edited by kanga on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydriller, T6Harvard liked this
By Pete L
Viv did about 8hr instruction up to and including take-offs and landings. Because of the horseriding she had sensitive hands - almost certainly a better stick and rudder pilot than I am and she's certainly a better navigator!
By flybymike
Worth mentioning that the Humberside incident was a fairly experienced passenger who had done quite a lot of hand flying with his sadly demised mate.
Listening to the ATC tapes of the event indicates that he was very calm and collected during the whole incident, and he made a fairly presentable landing (at night!) before running off onto the grass.
I think he was lucky that the nosewheel didn’t dig in and flip the Aircraft on its back.
By rikur_
kanga wrote:
ISTR that the successful talkdown by a FI in Tower and a shepherding RAF Sea KIng of a non-pilot at ?Humberside after nightfall, after pilot had collapsed, had not confused him about steering on the ground and brakes. Probably sensible not to overload him. Anyway, as instructed after heavyish touchdown he did close the throttle, and presumably tried (obviously unsuccessfully) to steer with yoke as he had been in the air. He slewed off the runway, slowed down rapidly on the grass, and may have damaged undercarriage, prop and possibly more. But he survived, that's the main thing. :thumright:

T6Harvard, RisePilot liked this
By Miscellaneous
I recall that incident very well since I know the aeroplane. I also remember taking it to Tiree and going up to the tower to pay the landing fee on a crystal clear February day only for the FISO (?) to tell us there had just been a bad accident in Cork. I'm sure many will recall it caused a bit of a stir that one. :(