Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, I have a 'get out of jail card', but I and hundreds of other UK pilots have made use of France's foreign microlight exemption countless times, and there is hardly and difference in the wording. It would be difficult to find one has a different meaning to the other.

- et, concernant le pilote :
- il est titulaire d'un titre permettant de voler sur cet ULM soit délivré par cet Etat ou par un organisme ayant reçu délégation de cet Etat, soit validé ou reconnu par cet Etat

Le pilote est titulaire d'un titre aéronautique et des qualifications associées permettant de voler sur cet aéronef, soit délivré par l'Etat d'immatriculation ou par un organisme ayant reçu délégation de cet Etat, soit validé ou reconnu par cet Etat.

If I didn't, someone else would, so I decided to write to the DGAC seeking confirmation of my interpretation. I will post their reply when it arrives.
Dave W, russp, G-BLEW liked this
By Doober2004
Just rececked French Order of July 24, 1991 relating to the conditions of use of civil aircraft in general aviation https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/LEGITEXT000006077971/,

..........which confirms (for those who have one) NPPL is still good for France.....extant para 4.3.4.3 says:

For the purposes of this paragraph, the holder of a national private pilot license (N-PPL) issued by the Civil Aviation Authority of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, to which is associated a declaration of conformity at the corresponding level of Annex I of the Convention on International Civil Aviation issued by this authority or on its behalf by an examiner authorized by it, is authorized to perform flights in France on board airplanes registered in the register of United Kingdom of Great Britain, on a private basis, in VFR and within the limits of the privileges held under this national license.

para 4.3.4.3 also says:

The Minister in charge of civil aviation may accept the exercise in France, and within the limits of the privileges attached to the French private pilot license, of privileges associated with a title issued or validated by a foreign State, or of special foreign privileges. not recognized in France, if this title or these privileges sanction a sufficient level of competence to obtain the title or equivalent French privileges.

Since a UK issued LAPL sanctions the same level of competence as a French LAPL (or did so at 11pm on 31/12/20) this box must also be ticked. And for homebuilts the Arrêté du 1er avril 2021 surely seals the deal i.e. the Minister has accepted!

Let's be careful not to ask the wrong question or the wrong clerk in DGAC!
By patowalker
Let's also be careful how we interpret French legislation. That article authorises the Minister of Aviation to accept the use of an NPPL, it does not authorise a pilot to use an NPPL.

The Minister did accept the use of an NPPL in AIC A 13/10, which you quoted previously, but it is no longer in effect. It was withdrawn, quite logically, when the LAPL was introduced and could be obtained by NPPL holders through a simple paper exercise.

There is no question that an NPPL is valid to fly homebuilts in France. All I have done, and only to convince the doubters, is seek confimation that a UK CAA Part-FCL LAPL is also valid.
By russp
patowalker wrote:Let's also be careful how we interpret French legislation. That article authorises the Minister of Aviation to accept the use of an NPPL, it does not authorise a pilot to use an NPPL.

The Minister did accept the use of an NPPL in AIC A 13/10, which you quoted previously, but it is no longer in effect. It was withdrawn, quite logically, when the LAPL was introduced and could be obtained by NPPL holders through a simple paper exercise.

There is no question that an NPPL is valid to fly homebuilts in France. All I have done, and only to convince the doubters, is seek confimation that a UK CAA Part-FCL LAPL is also valid.

Now I'm confused, the AIC allowing pilots to use a NPPL was withdrawn .... but there is no question that a NPPL is valid to fly homebuilts in France?
By Doober2004
russp wrote:
Now I'm confused, the AIC allowing pilots to use a NPPL was withdrawn .... but there is no question that a NPPL is valid to fly homebuilts in France?

The AIC, which has been withdrawn, simply provided a template for the Certificate of ICAO Compliance. The regulation remains in force at para 4.3.4.3 of the order. https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/LEGITEXT000006077971/
By Kittyhawk
I am trying to follow this, honestly, but can someone please answer this simple question:
I have an LAPL, a UK PPL/SEP, an NPPL/SSEA, a LAPL medical and a PMD. Can I fly to France in my G reg factory built Permit Jodel? Obviously bearing in mind Covid restrictions both here and there.