Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By gaznav
#1838369
@Charliesixtysix true for those using a FLARM device using a classic FLARM display, but for those using a SE2 then they will detect gliders that may not be a threat and for those PAW users they will detect the rebroadcast FLARM if they are in range and line of sight of a suitable ground station.

As most have said on here - EC detection is a useful tool, but won’t see everything (even if everyone had the same device then there is always a risk of the unit (or ground station) failing).
chevvron liked this
User avatar
By Charliesixtysix
#1838386
gaznav wrote:@Charliesixtysix true for those using a FLARM device using a classic FLARM display, but for those using a SE2 then they will detect gliders that may not be a threat and for those PAW users they will detect the rebroadcast FLARM if they are in range and line of sight of a suitable ground station.

.....


I know, which is why I said what I said.
gaznav liked this
User avatar
By Smaragd
#1838389
JodelDavo wrote:My PAW unit is in the naughty cupboard along with 20 years worth of old chargers, plugs and other electronic detritus that is of no use. It's far too clunky to download & install updates and generally looked a bit like it was built in somebody's shed after a trip to Maplin.

As I generally do look out of the window, (what's the point of flying otherwise?) any EC device is only an addition to my reasonably good eyesight.


So do I, but I can also use my ears with PAW. And as PaulSS points out, it's no longer clunky. It just sits there and behaves - even a Classic PAW like mine.
By JodelDavo
#1838398
PaulSS wrote:

......any EC device is only an addition to my reasonably good eyesight.
Yep, so get one (any one) and have that valuable addition :thumleft:


I’ve got SkyEcho thanks, see my post above.
PaulSS liked this
User avatar
By PeteSpencer
#1838403
Slight thread drift and I suppose the answer is ‘try it and see ‘ :

But here goes anyway .

Will SE2 ‘feed’ two iThingies at the same time such that I can have SE 2 target aircraft displayed on my ‘navigational’ Sky Demon chart iPad Mini 4 ( with Flarm sub) with audible warnings Bluetoothed direct to my headset via my natty US gizmo while at the same time using my iPhone 7 mounted close to my eyeline but configured to show full screeen the SE2 ‘pseudo-radar’ screen that is normally tucked down bottom right postage stamp size and virtually unreadable ?

Hope that makes sense :wink:

I guess my main confusion is what is wi- fi- ing and what is Bluetoothing .....,


TIA
User avatar
By FlightDek
#1838405
PeteSpencer wrote:Slight thread drift and I suppose the answer is ‘try it and see ‘ :

But here goes anyway .

Will SE2 ‘feed’ two iThingies at the same time such that I can have SE 2 target aircraft displayed on my ‘navigational’ Sky Demon chart iPad Mini 4 ( with Flarm sub) with audible warnings Bluetoothed direct to my headset via my natty US gizmo while at the same time using my iPhone 7 mounted close to my eyeline but configured to show full screeen the SE2 ‘pseudo-radar’ screen that is normally tucked down bottom right postage stamp size and virtually unreadable ?

Hope that makes sense :wink:

I guess my main confusion is what is wi- fi- ing and what is Bluetoothing .....,


TIA


Yes - that's what I do
PeteSpencer liked this
By VinceGod
#1838407
Yes you can have multiple devices connected to an EC unit, this includes SkyEcho2, Stratux, & Pilotaware. SkyDemon has a traffic radar but not sure if you can get it full screen on an IPhone but you can with Stratux & Pilotaware traffic Radar.

Vince

PS. Stratux now does Pilotaware both transmit and receive, as well as directly receiving Flarm, OGN, ADS-B, Mode S, UAT
Image
gaznav liked this
User avatar
By gaznav
#1838408
Yes, it’s full screen on an iPhone. I’ll try and find a picture. I have an iPad with the SkyDemon Nav screen and the traffic RADAR on my SE2. Works a treat.

[edit - here you go] it will do portrait or landscape too
Image
PeteSpencer liked this
By low&slow
#1838409
Charliesixtysix wrote:
johnm wrote:It's got a way to go to beat a traffic service as yet......Hope to find a decent gliding day and see what FLARM shows from Aston Down and Nympsfield.


I suspect ( if you are receiving via a Flarm device of your own) that you won’t see a lot of Flarm glider traffic as it is designed to primarily alert to aircraft that are a potential threat, rather than display all emitters.

No. If you have a properly set up aerial you can see Flarm traffic from 10km or more away. It will only alert if your predicted path is close to the predicted path of another Flarm contact, but the position of any detected Flarm contact will be added to the NMEA stream coming from a Flarm device & available for your nav software to plot.
User avatar
By Dave W
#1838410
low&slow wrote:No. If you have a properly set up aerial you can see Flarm traffic from 10km or more away.

It's technically impressive but I worry it's a distraction to be engaging in any way anything that isn't an immediate or emerging threat.

Anything more than a mile away AND is on a converging track seems irrelevent, which is why I am firming up a view that what drives safety in EC is mostly the effectiveness of the alerts, not the representions of other aircraft on the chart.
Charliesixtysix, mick w liked this
User avatar
By MattL
#1838412
@Dave W thing is, like most FIs and FEs I spend the majority of my time general handling as opposed to on a pre planned track. We use the traffic information to dynamically manoeuvre to avoid other traffic and concentrations; the aim is to never get an alert. In my work flying in the Tutor, whenever a TAS contact enters the 3nm range ring we knock off the exercise until we can manoeuvre clear.

I would offer there is a world of difference between using the information proactively as opposed to a reactive capability?
User avatar
By MattL
#1838425
Well no, not until mandatory EC is sorted, but you’ve reduced a significant amount of the credible risk.

With TAS and FLARM, under a Traffic service, supplemented by lookout, the likelihood of another threat being more significant than the one you’ve avoided is pretty small
I would argue.
gaznav liked this