Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gasbag
#1838097
Like others, a fabulous day almost like normal.
Around the picnic tables at several airfields there was definitely a common thread......
Lots of playing with new EC toys, some impressed, others not! Vintage a/c where they always look out trying desperately to see traffic that SE told them was coming in from right. Frightened rigid by a/c from left that wasn’t shown that nearly hit them as they were staring to the right. Without SE preoccupying them they would have seen it. Others saying “this is great! I now know where every a/c is and I can concentrate on my gps!” AARrrggghhh!
Other eavesdropping revealed how many are electing to not switch on any txpndr or EC device due to the CAA heavy handed “guilty unless you can prove otherwise policy”.
All I can hear in my head is that song “the lunatics have taken over the asylum”!
Where is this all going???
By johnm
#1838125
Where is this all going???


To hell in a handcart I fear... :roll:
User avatar
By Rob P
#1838171
Gasbag wrote:Others saying “this is great! I now know where every a/c is and I can concentrate on my gps!”


I must mix in the wrong circles. I have never heard one pilot, let alone multiple examples, say anything of this nature.

Rob P
Ian Melville, rikur_, skydriller and 3 others liked this
By TopCat
#1838211
Rob P wrote:
Gasbag wrote:Others saying “this is great! I now know where every a/c is and I can concentrate on my gps!”


I must mix in the wrong circles. I have never heard one pilot, let alone multiple examples, say anything of this nature.

Probably recently qualified students, now navigating the correct way having left behind the tyranny and negligence of being expected to be able to read a map.
By Crash one
#1838232
EC is going to have to improve in leaps and bounds in order to see and display every single possible threat. Currently we’re at about 25% at a guess.
I was told, “it’s injun territory, keep yr powder dry and watch yr six o’clock.
bogopper liked this
User avatar
By Smaragd
#1838272
JodelDavo wrote:Yesterday I had about a 50/50 split of aircraft seen visually Vs those on the SkyDemon/SkyEcho thingymajig.

You’ve gotta keep your eyes open!!


Dave W wrote:True - especially when you consider that there were probably as many again in the area that weren't detected by either. :D


Perhaps having PAW would improve the odds? :wink:
By johnm
#1838284
It's got a way to go to beat a traffic service as yet......Hope to find a decent gliding day and see what FLARM shows from Aston Down and Nympsfield.
gfry liked this
By JodelDavo
#1838301
Smaragd wrote:
JodelDavo wrote:Yesterday I had about a 50/50 split of aircraft seen visually Vs those on the SkyDemon/SkyEcho thingymajig.

You’ve gotta keep your eyes open!!


Dave W wrote:True - especially when you consider that there were probably as many again in the area that weren't detected by either. :D


Perhaps having PAW would improve the odds? :wink:


My PAW unit is in the naughty cupboard along with 20 years worth of old chargers, plugs and other electronic detritus that is of no use. It's far too clunky to download & install updates and generally looked a bit like it was built in somebody's shed after a trip to Maplin.

As I generally do look out of the window, (what's the point of flying otherwise?) any EC device is only an addition to my reasonably good eyesight.
gaznav liked this
By Longfinal
#1838318
I currently have a student who has an absolutely remarkable ability to spot traffic and, even so, my SE2 has been alerting traffic that neither of us has seen - more and more since evrybody else has been able to get back in the air.

Beware though - don't be tempted to stare only in the direction of the alerted traffic trying to spot it cos there's still plenty from the other directions that'll get you!
gaznav liked this
User avatar
By PaulSS
#1838323
@JodelDavo
PAW.......It's far too clunky to download & install updates
Nowadays you just press a button on the updating app on your phone/tablet and it does it all for you. No need to take out SD cards, download things into folders etc. It can take up to a couple of minutes to do the whole thing though :wink: .


......any EC device is only an addition to my reasonably good eyesight.
Yep, so get one (any one) and have that valuable addition :thumleft:
exfirepro liked this
User avatar
By Charliesixtysix
#1838329
johnm wrote:It's got a way to go to beat a traffic service as yet......Hope to find a decent gliding day and see what FLARM shows from Aston Down and Nympsfield.


I suspect ( if you are receiving via a Flarm device of your own) that you won’t see a lot of Flarm glider traffic as it is designed to primarily alert to aircraft that are a potential threat, rather than display all emitters.
johnm liked this