Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MattL
Yep it’s true that e licensing can’t cope with the IR(R) - you have to ring them up to get it manually amended for revalidations and renewal as well
By JodelDavo
skydriller wrote:Again I keep coming back to the arguement that so much of this stuff could be solved and additionally save the CAA so much admin work at a stroke if the CAA/Dft said :

"UK (EASA) FCL licence = UK (ICAO) licence"

:roll:

A great solution.

But that wouldn't be 'the British way' of doing things.... They'll push on with this fiasco, the front line workers at CAA FCL probably know it is a good and simple, pragmatic solution, but it wasn't invented here, by our CAA, so can't possibly be as good..

The UK licensing & medical system has become so fragmented, difficult to understand, and a right PITA (*Insert your own word here) that I fear it has become a Flight Safety issue. There's probably loads of pilots flying out there who haven't got a valid licence or medical that covers what they fly, purely because its all far too difficult to comprehend.. The whole mess should have been MORd months ago, but they'd only investigate themselves and say it was all marvellous. :roll:
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hang on a minute does this mean that I have to swap my UK EASA PPL licence for another UK licence at some point?? If so when?? :shock:
By johnm
Many thanks @Dave W I had forgotten that discussion. As I shall be 79 that year it may cause me to finally hang up my headset. :(
By JonathanB
Not looking forward to the point when I decide to get back into flying and have to do something with my EASA CPL(A) and expired SEP rating. Not to mention the expired IR(R), Aeroos rating and a night Qualification (is it stiill called that?!).

Think I'll bury my head for a bit longer...
johnm liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
JonathanB wrote:Not looking forward to the point when I decide to get back into flying and have to do something with my EASA CPL(A) and expired SEP rating. Not to mention the expired IR(R), Aeroos rating and a night Qualification (is it stiill called that?!).

Think I'll bury my head for a bit longer...

Good news is that aeros and night are non expiring, you just need training as required, an SEP proficiency check, and an IR(R) revalidation test. Your EASA CPL(A) just became a UK-FCL CPL(A) with no effort on your part.

G
By skydriller
JonathanB wrote:Think I'll bury my head for a bit longer...

The thing is, I suspect that many are not going to know about stuff changing or "bits expiring", such that the number of pilots inadvertently flying illegally will increase - especially wrt G-reg aeroplanes in EASAland.
"Best place for GA" remember...

Regards, SD..
johnm liked this
By SteveX
Before further confusion arises from yet another thread.............the eLicensing on the portal is only for professional licenses. Anyone reading this and thinking they can add IRR etc to a PPL on that system shouldn't attempt it (big yellow warning comes up on the portal). So paper it is.
By rich_g85
SteveX wrote:Before further confusion arises from yet another thread.............the eLicensing on the portal is only for professional licenses. Anyone reading this and thinking they can add IRR etc to a PPL on that system shouldn't attempt it (big yellow warning comes up on the portal). So paper it is.

Yes indeed - and even if you have a professional licence you still can't use it for an IR(R), as I found out.

@skydriller, @Dave W et al - the irony and stupidity of this was certainly not lost on me!
Dave W liked this
By carlmeek
It is possible, as the OP, that I have some egg on my face and owe the CAA an apology....

I just had a call from them, puzzled, and claiming that they had processed my FI derestriction, my Night teaching variation and my aeros all at once, but had no sign of my GR(E) or IR(R) application.

I've now taken a microscope to my license and I'm puzzled. Does a license actually get amended when an FI gets derestricted (i.e. having completed 100hours + 25 solos?)

It looks like they added Night Teaching privilege (the (f)) and the aeros. But no sign of derestriction so I can teach without supervision? I assumed that was the 'restricted' bit? Perhaps the license doesn't actually change... *puzzled*

Just the GRE to chase up now.

My license reads:

Whereas it used to read....