Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By reubeno
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:If so, this might bring back a few memories.

I stumbled across it on YouTube and was instantly taken back to my first flight in a light aircraft almost exactly 38 years ago.

Thanks so much for posting! I was in 104 squadron / Cambridge. I think I only got to fly twice, despite being based next to the airport, but watched that cine film on a number of occasions when we had been expected to fly, but the flights were cancelled or cut short due to weather.
JAFO liked this
BobD wrote:
Rob P wrote:
Eventually the ATC with an Air Experience flight from Woodvale and gliding from Sealand

Rob P

Me too. I was with 611 Squadron barracks on Everton Rd. Liverpool. Happy Days :D

Were 'Doc' Ward or Tom '??' Sealand staff cadets at the time?
By BobD
map5623 wrote:
BobD wrote:
Rob P wrote:
Eventually the ATC with an Air Experience flight from Woodvale and gliding from Sealand

Rob P

Me too. I was with 611 Squadron barracks on Everton Rd. Liverpool. Happy Days :D

Were 'Doc' Ward or Tom '??' Sealand staff cadets at the time?

Can't remember any of the names (apart from the CO, Sqn Ldr P J D Walton-Smith MBE, who gave me my inaugural flight), but you might be able to recognise them in this photo ?

My flying at Sealand was in 66/67, but this photo was taken in 1976, when they kindly allowed me to return and take some photos, after I developed an interest in photography. They also gave me flight on that day.
By BobD

This is me on an Air Experience flight at RAF Colerne in 1967.

"My" Chipmunk is now on display at the RAF Museum Hendon. There is some cock & bull story about it being involved in an around the world flight, but those of us in the know realise it is on displayed there in homage to providing the first powered flight to a young BobD. :wink:
PaulSS liked this
By rogerb
10 AEF at Woodvale was a wonderful place back in the Chipmunk era. As a CCF member I would quite regularly train then walk on a Wednesday or Friday afternoon and just turn up and usually get a flight.
Daughter, an ATC member (and staff sgt) when Tutors became the mount managed many flights including a Nav scholarship. On a number of occasions when I turned up to collect her the CO at the time was pleased to offer me a flight at the end of the day if all the cadets had flown.
JAFO, Lockhaven liked this
By mpk
1982-86 as ccf with Woodvale as the nearest airfield. Annual camps to Wittering in 82 where the Harriers were preparing for Falklands (AEF flying from Cambridge), Halton (flying from Abingdon) and Waddington (Newton). I looked up where the Chipmunks flown are now:
WP970 USA
WP837 Australia
WP627 unknown
WP901 G reg
WP984 G reg
WG469 G reg in France
WP896 G reg

In 84 at Halton went up in a Venture ZA633, don't know where that one ended up. So looks like they had gliders but no Chipmunks at Halton?

Did the gliding course at Sealand in July 1984, Sedburghs:
WB993 unknown
WB946 Netherlands
WB971 Tibenham
WB935 Germany (the one I soloed in)
XN157 Long Mynd

Someone above mentioned names and the instructors I have for Sealand in my book are Ellison, Mason, Warburton, Shortman (in the photo).

Got the flying scholarship in 1985 and did that at Seawing at Southend.

Rob P, Cookie, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
Just to say, my interesting flights were from Swinderby (Varsity) and Kinloss (Shackleton)

Rob P
kanga wrote:
Dman wrote:Was in 234 City of Durham squadron from @ 1977 to 1983
Also got a short flight in a Provost out of Leeming

Provost of the Jet variety there, then, I assume :)

[another youngster :roll: ]

Yep JP's 3A and 5A with CFS until 1984 when Leeming closed to be converted in to a Tonka base, CFS then moved to Scampton.
By Cookie
Did you start flying as an Air Cadet?

I was in the RAF section of the CCF at school with the obligatory Air Experience Flights in Chipmunks later gaining an RAF Flying Scholarship which I completed at Peterborough Conington. I've got my CCF Record of Service book and similar photo to MPK.

Cookie