Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I started flying with a 2/6d trip over the Mersey from Speke in a Fox Moth.

Then there was a Vickers Viking to Perpignan

Eventually the ATC with an Air Experience flight from Woodvale and gliding from Sealand

Rob P
kanga liked this
First ever flights for me were as a spotty ATC Cadet (1571 Squadron - Tottenham Grammar School) flying from White Waltham in AEF Chipmunks in 1966/7. The enjoyment of that time hardened my resolve to become a pilot.

Trained at Hamble and retired from professional flying in 2008. I now have a share in an aircraft at Waltham. Interesting how things have gone full circle.

I don't have any records of those flights and would be really interested if anyone has any details of the particular 'Chippies' that were in service at WW at that time.
ADIRU777 wrote:First ever flights for me were as a spotty ATC Cadet (1571 Squadron - Tottenham Grammar School) flying from White Waltham in AEF Chipmunks in 1966/7. The enjoyment of that time hardened my resolve to become a pilot.

Trained at Hamble and retired from professional flying in 2008. I now have a share in an aircraft at Waltham. Interesting how things have gone full circle.

I don't have any records of those flights and would be really interested if anyone has any details of the particular 'Chippies' that were in service at WW at that time.

I don’t think the aircraft were shuffled between AEFs very frequently, so an educated guess might possibly be one or more of WB550, WD331, WK609 and WZ856 as they were with 6 AEF, by then at Benson, at the point the Chipmunk was withdrawn from AEF service.
ADIRU777 wrote:I don't have any records of those flights and would be really interested if anyone has any details of the particular 'Chippies' that were in service at WW at that time.

6 AEF Waltham was our local; from my log book I flew in:-
XB391 (1962)
VP843 (1963 & 1968)
WZ861(1969)
WB560(1970)
WP778(1971)
WK548(1971)
My log book also records a flight in '861 during 1968 from Halton; I think it was our ATC Wing Parade.
ADIRU777 liked this
PaulSS wrote:@Mike Tango WK609 was with 4 AEF in 1987. I flew with them for a while (from the front this time) from Filton and Hullavington and that aircraft adorns my logbook :D

2 AEF staff cadet, 4 AEF and 6 AEF as a driver :thumleft:

So much for my theory about the aircraft not shuffling about much! :P

And just because why not, me and my old Chipmunk at Old Warden. Not sure what I was signalling to @vintageatco who took the picture...

Great memories of ATC, was a great organisation. 440 Squadron.
Chippies at Woodvale, St Athan and Shawbury.
Weeks gliding course at BAE Salmesbury in Lancashire on Slingsby Venture Motor Glider, solo at 16.
Last edited by B1engineer on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was in the ATC from 1962 - 66 when I joined the RAF.

First ever flight was in a Slingsby T21 Sedberg from RAF Hendon in 1962. Did several more flights at Hendon but they didn’t do A&B Gliding courses there, so I moved to RAF Debden where I did my first solo. I was then a staff cadet - alternating between Debden and North Weald.

First powered flight was, of course, in a Chippy, although for the life of me I can’t remember where the first one was.
My ATC Sqdn was in Hampstead north London, but we used to go to several different RAF Stations. Most frequent were Debden and North Weald, but Benson, Kenley and Biggin were also frequent visits. I think I had at least one visit to my current base at White Waltham, but don’t know whether it was for gliding or powered flying. (Those leetle grey cells)?

I still take every opportunity to fly in a Chippy although as I’m carrying a few more pounds these days, it a little more cramped than in 62 - when I tipped the scales at approx 6 stone. (Depressingly, I’m now more 2.5 times heavier) !!
By Human Factor
I was ATC from 86-92. Flying was mainly in the 7 AEF Chippies at Newton and gliders from Scampton, with whatever we were able to blag otherwise. A JP5 (CFS Scampton) was my best effort. I seemed to be doing something every weekend for years. I lucked in with a camp in Gibraltar (the week Iraq invaded Kuwait) and I managed IACE and the FS in the same summer the following year. Great times.

I managed to get a Flying Scholarship at Truman Aviation at Tollerton in 1991 (where I finished my PPL) and the rest is history. Back to Newton for UAS in the Bulldog and I eventually found my way into Big Airways as a cadet. Still there.
By Lefty
Human Factor wrote:I was ATC from 86-92. Flying was mainly in the 7 AEF Chippies at Newton and gliders from Scampton, with whatever we were able to blag otherwise. A JP5 (CFS Scampton) was my best effort. I seemed to be doing something every weekend for years. I lucked in with a camp in Gibraltar (the week Iraq invaded Kuwait) and I managed IACE and the FS in the same summer the following year. Great times.

I managed to get a Flying Scholarship at Truman Aviation at Tollerton in 1991 (where I finished my PPL) and the rest is history. Back to Newton for UAS in the Bulldog and I eventually found my way into Big Airways as a cadet. Still there.

I didn’t realise how young you are (or conversely, how damn old I am) see you soon!
kanga, Human Factor liked this
I sat through that film so many times at RAF Manston, where the weather would generally be good enough to fly on about every 3rd visit. I did my first ever flight in a Chipmunk and then flew aerobatics on each subsequent flight, unless I was with the Sqn Ldr in charge and he spotted a hovercraft leaving Ramsgate - in which case he would attack it, and then spend the rest of the flight whistling the music to Postman Pat. I think the air experience flying might have got to him!
Was a staff cadet at RAF Filton for about a year, some time before that film was made. We didn't have bone domes, and I can't remember all the stuff about opening the canopy. Most memorable flight was at a summer camp, possibly Syerston. A couple of fast jet pilots were doing the honours in the front seats. While in the air, another Chippie drew up alongside with my mate in the back. The pilot said "Don't tell anyone about this when we get back." and went full-on into a dog-fight with the other Chippie. Bloody brilliant! :D