Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had the pleasure of seeing the Red Arrows pass in front of me whilst flying yesterday. I was not overly surprised, as their flight had been Notamed, and I knew I would be in the vicinity of their flight. However, they didn't show up on my EC device (PAW), which made me wonder why ?

Do military aircraft not transmit any conspicuity codes ? I could understand it may be a small inconvenience in a combat situation :roll: , but it would be an aid to flight safety in peacetime.
By PeteSpencer
Their transit was notified to me and they passed by on time but just too far from my house to see 'em, though I could hear them.

Nothing showed on FR24 either.

Peter
By skydriller
Last time I saw "La Patrouiile de France" they flew directly overhead while I was flying the Cote d'Azure VFR route at 500ft, I was warned by Nice(?) and they gave me a 30sec burst of smoke... 8) (I thanked them in French & they reciprocated by replying in English :thumleft: )

Ive heard the Reds do the same?

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman liked this
By riverrock
I thought one of them normally outputs Mode-S but not ADS-B when in formation.
If you have PAW set to warn on bearingless traffic you should get a bearingless warning, and if in range of 3 ground stations ( and you in range of one) you should get a multi-laterated location shown.
By chevvron
BobD wrote:I had the pleasure of seeing the Red Arrows pass in front of me whilst flying yesterday. I was not overly surprised, as their flight had been Notamed, and I knew I would be in the vicinity of their flight. However, they didn't show up on my EC device (PAW), which made me wonder why ?

Do military aircraft not transmit any conspicuity codes ? I could understand it may be a small inconvenience in a combat situation :roll: , but it would be an aid to flight safety in peacetime.

They're still using the Hawk T1 (until they're all withdrawn from use in the next couple of years) so apart from SSR Mode C, I doubt if they carry anything else.
I have TRIED to tell everyone NOT to rely totally on EC transmissions but people just don't believe me.
condor17, Lockhaven, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By Lockhaven
chevvron wrote:They're still using the Hawk T1 (until they're all withdrawn from use in the next couple of years) so apart from SSR Mode C, I doubt if they carry anything else.
I have TRIED to tell everyone NOT to rely totally on EC transmissions but people just don't believe me.

But its an electronic gadget it never lies, the same as GPS and the magenta line are always correct :lol:
Trent772 liked this
By JAFO
chevvron wrote:They're still using the Hawk T1 (until they're all withdrawn from use in the next couple of years) ...

I thought the Dead Sparrows were keeping the T1.
By Capt Edmund
I think it's only the black T1s that are being retired, Reds were set to keep them to 2030 the last I heard. They are part way through a Mode S upgrade programme which probably explains why you've seen a few but not all.
JAFO liked this
By chevvron
Capt Edmund wrote:I think it's only the black T1s that are being retired, Reds were set to keep them to 2030 the last I heard. They are part way through a Mode S upgrade programme which probably explains why you've seen a few but not all.

So what are Valley going to use for fast jet training? Not enough T2s and they're needed for air combat training anyway.
Course Leonardo produce a 'worthy' successor in the M345 which is used by Frecce Tricolouri and which BAe could build under licence (not much else to occupy that huge factory at Warton) but who am I to say?
By Capt Edmund
Valley has only had T2s for about 4 years now although I see in the press that there will be a new Qatari Hawk T2 Sqn forming at Leeming as part of their Typhoon package so there may be a bit of capacity coming up there.
JAFO liked this
By Trent772
I remember watching them below us as we transited Scampton above their TRA last year in our RV7... :mrgreen: