Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
gaznav wrote:Not really - as ATOM grid doesn’t have to meet any performance standard

But it does seem to work

gaznav wrote:nor is it interoperable with a multitude of in use equipment from different manufacturers... :D

What does that actually mean? What are these multitude of in-use equipment and are any of them in my aeroplane?

Rob P
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
RayP wrote:Apart from SE2 what equipment is currently in use in GA that can receive TIS-B on 978?

I have said this before. If these drones are going to use ADSB on 978 Mhz who is going to be able to see them?

users of the Garmin GDL50 receivers.

Stratux which is based on the Raspberry Pi.

There are also several 978 receivers marketed by UaVIONIX other than the Skyecho but priced in dollars at the moment.
gaznav liked this
Marvin wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
RayP wrote:Apart from SE2 what equipment is currently in use in GA that can receive TIS-B on 978?

I have said this before. If these drones are going to use ADSB on 978 Mhz who is going to be able to see them?

users of the Garmin GDL50 receivers.

Stratux which is based on the Raspberry Pi.

There are also several 978 receivers marketed by UaVIONIX other than the Skyecho but priced in dollars at the moment.

So nothing much EC wise that anyone currently has or has recently purchased specifically for seeing traffic!
@Shoestring Flyer

Here is a list of some of the many 978Mhz receive capabilities:

SkyEcho
Stratux
Stratus
Avidyne Skytrax100B
Dual XGPS170D
ForeFlight Sentry
Scout
Garmin GDL-50, GDL-84 and GDL-88
Dynon DRX

PowerFLARM Fusion, PowerFLARM Core ADS‑B, and PowerFLARM Portable can receive 978 ADS-R and TIS-B with firmware version 7.03 in the USA.
PAW - yes, they have a software version that supports UAT/978Mhz UAT to SkyDemon. To get that you need to choose between Mode S/C proximity detection display or UAT data display. I believe you also have to fit a second radio dongle as well to the Raspberry Pi.

Etc...etc...etc... I could go on. That is why I said there are very EC receivers that can receive 978MHz.
Quoting long lists of EC equipment that is available in the US operating ADSB on 978Mhz, or equipment that might be available here sometime in the future is not going to help the guys and gals here and now with EC using 1090Mhz equipment to see the Drones in the current Goodwood drone trial is it!
Can I ask you :-
Do you think it is satisfactory or even sensible for these Goodwood Drone trials to be using ADSB on 978Mhz when very few other pilots are currently going to be able to 'see' them on their present equipment?
leemoore1966 liked this
I am getting an increasingly uneasy feeling that the commercial and political enthusiasm for letting drones loose is going to compromise the position of the regulator, whose independence is already in question.

It is not a great boost to one's confidence in the CAA that the person in charge of both drones and GA has already presided over one Goodwood fiasco, apparently with impunity. Nor is it encouraging to look at her profile on Linked In where her background has almost nothing to do with aviation she's basically an ex Microsoft Wonk
Boxkite liked this
There was a long multi- project presentation last week from a Govt Agency called Connected Places Catapult.https://cp.catapult.org.uk

Part of the presentation was concerning BVLOS at Goodwood and the slides are here.
https://cp.catapult.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/31.03.21-Drone-Pathfinder-Catalyst-programme-community-webinar-PPT.pdf

Hopefully some of the questions may be answered by these.

What is clear is how and important (to some) the whole drone thang is.