Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 I’ll admit I’m surprised it was that much! Maybe we get a better deal due to fuel uplift, but as I’m considering that as a fuel stop on route to Glenforsa on a private trip in a single I will make sure I check.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
TLRippon wrote:
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
AndyR wrote:At least they are a most pleasant bunch (and always have loads of coffee & biscuits) :D

I still think £95 was a bit rich for a 'free' coffee out of a machine and a biscuit. The chap was indeed smiling broadly as he relieved me of payment.

On a more positive note, it sounds like it is a bit more reasonable now and all things considered I was very glad at the time to have a runway where I needed one!

Prestwick Flight Centre?

Prestwick Aviation Services, back in 2015. I just found the invoice and it was actually £84, not £95. I also paid £170 for fuel.
By Shoestring Flyer
Better and more realistic priced options for en-route fuel when travelling from the south than Prestwick are Carlisle or Kirkbride.
Last time I was in that area, 2019, I used Carlisle and it was a cheap landing fee and reasonably priced fuel with a good cafe. Unfortunately though it is currently showing closed due to Covid.
Kirkbride is always a good option but they don't always have fuel available and now has Car Track days on some weekends I see which may be limiting, depending on your schedule.
By TLRippon
I usually pay £29 landing fee at Prestwick and IIRC, it's been a year or so, about £15ish per day for parking. Rockwell Commander. With Prestwick Flight Centre. I don't ever recall being charged an instrument approach fee at Prestwick for pop-up arrivals.
Prestwick Aviation Services is the executive FBO so I guess you'd pay more for that sort of handling.
By Iceman
That has been the mistake that a lot of people have made, being directed to compulsory handling by tone tower rather than to Prestwick Flight Centre.

Iceman 8)
By skydriller
Iceman wrote:That has been the mistake that a lot of people have made, being directed to compulsory handling by tone tower rather than to Prestwick Flight Centre.

And why is the tower doing this?
How would a visitor know?
By TLRippon
Because generally you would book in with Prestwick Flight Centre for PPR, it's in all the guides, granted so are the other FBO's but if you bothered to call around them you'd find PFS was by far the cheapest as they are the flying club and have their own fuel bowser.
The tower asked who you are visiting when you vacate the runway and direct you to whoever you tell them. However the default is usually Apron E by the tower where PFS is located if you are in an SEP.

Edit to add:
I had a look in the current Pooleys, they are not mentioned anymore, Their Facebook page hasn't been updated since June 2020 so we may be left with Hobson's choice. Looks like Glasgow may be the best option for an instrument arrival now. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what the situation is, if there is someone there.
By 602fan
Prestwick Flight Centre no longer supplies fuel. The FBO will send their bowser to apron E from their base at apron G if requested.

The Flight Centre should’ve been under the management of Leading Edge at Glasgow by now but I understand that’s fallen through and the proprietor of Aircraft Engineers is looking for a new custodian.

There’s always someone at Aircraft Engineers 7 days a week right next door. But, as I say, no fuel.

Prestwick Flying Club have their own fuel but I don’t believe their licence allows dispensing to non-members.
TLRippon liked this
By riverrock
602fan wrote:Prestwick Flying Club have their own fuel but I don’t believe their licence allows dispensing to non-members.

There isn't actually anything stopping the club from dispensing to non-members. However as the club isn't manned (its actually a club!) then you have to pre-arrange to meet an individual member to be handled - handling isn't a service the club is setup to or has the capacity to offer. The fuel isn't significantly cheaper anyway, as the club buys its fuel in bulk from the in house FBO.

Anyway - I hope that Oban don't miss the busy summer season!
By Forfoxake
riverrock wrote:
602fan wrote:Prestwick Flying Club have their own fuel but I don’t believe their licence allows dispensing to non-members.

There isn't actually anything stopping the club from dispensing to non-members. However as the club isn't manned (its actually a club!) then you have to pre-arrange to meet an individual member to be handled - handling isn't a service the club is setup to or has the capacity to offer. The fuel isn't significantly cheaper anyway, as the club buys its fuel in bulk from the in house FBO.

Anyway - I hope that Oban don't miss the busy summer season!

Although the landing fee for visitors was much cheaper at Prestwick Flying Club the last time I visited (£10).