Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JodelDavo
Always makes me laugh that motorway services petrol is at least 30p/litre more than the Tesco garage just off the next junction....

Why people ever fill up at a motorway services is beyond me.

I filled up an Aztec at Stornoway 2 years ago and the cost was eye watering. Fortunately I wasn’t paying.
By Rob P
JodelDavo wrote:Why people ever fill up at a motorway services is beyond me.

You've never had an expensed company car then?

Rob P
By TLRippon
Iceman wrote:Being self-service, it will be interesting to see whether that has an effect on what, historically, have been very high prices in Scotland. Paul Keegan always stated that there was a high cost associated with delivery to such remote places as Oban. There’s also the cost of the new infrastructure to recoup.

Iceman 8)

Cumbernauld (25 mins from Oban) £1.66 last visit. There is a lot more to Scotland than Glenforsa.
JodelDavo, 2Donkeys liked this
TLRippon wrote:
Iceman wrote:Being self-service, it will be interesting to see whether that has an effect on what, historically, have been very high prices in Scotland. Paul Keegan always stated that there was a high cost associated with delivery to such remote places as Oban. There’s also the cost of the new infrastructure to recoup.

Iceman 8)

Cumbernauld (25 mins from Oban) £1.66 last visit. There is a lot more to Scotland than Glenforsa.

Fair point, but fuelling at Cumbernauld equates to 50mins ( 2*25min) less endurance available for exploring/playing north of Oban.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is a lot more to Scotland than Glenforsa, but Glenforsa is not the subject of this thread, it’s Oban and its fuel availability! Hopefully, the competition from the likes of Cumberland will encourage Oban to set a realistic fuel price.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
The Maule has a conventional 180 HP engine that runs on AVGAS. With 4 tanks and a 1000 nm range, quite a lot of AVGAS in fact. If I don’t bring the Maule, then I’ll bring the TB20 which is even more capacious fuel-wise.

Iceman 8)
By Miscellaneous
Iceman wrote:...then I’ll bring the TB20 which is even more capacious fuel-wise.

I'd guess the Maule will have to go tech for that to happen. :wink:
(it was a tongue in cheek comment re MoGAS in the Maule. :D)
Iceman liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
AndyR wrote:
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:Also need to factor in mandatory handling at Prestwick.

At least they are a most pleasant bunch (and always have loads of coffee & biscuits) :D

I still think £84 was a bit rich for a 'free' coffee out of a machine and a biscuit. The chap was indeed smiling broadly as he relieved me of payment.

On a more positive note, it sounds like it is a bit more reasonable now and all things considered I was very glad at the time to have a runway where I needed one!

Edited for the record. I t was £84 not £95 as originally stated (see later post).
Last edited by Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TLRippon
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
AndyR wrote:
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:Also need to factor in mandatory handling at Prestwick.

At least they are a most pleasant bunch (and always have loads of coffee & biscuits) :D

I still think £95 was a bit rich for a 'free' coffee out of a machine and a biscuit. The chap was indeed smiling broadly as he relieved me of payment.

On a more positive note, it sounds like it is a bit more reasonable now and all things considered I was very glad at the time to have a runway where I needed one!

Prestwick Flight Centre?
By TLRippon
Iceman wrote:There is a lot more to Scotland than Glenforsa, but Glenforsa is not the subject of this thread, it’s Oban and its fuel availability! Hopefully, the competition from the likes of Cumberland will encourage Oban to set a realistic fuel price.

Iceman 8)

I didn't start the Glenforsa discussion but it was inevitable every time anything to the north west of Carlisle is mentioned. From the other threads Glasgow sounds like a reasonable option too. I think for people in southern England there is sometimes a misconception of the relatively short distances between scenic areas in Scotland. The distance from Cumbernauld to Glenforsa for example, is the same as Blackbushe to Leicester.
I also hope Oban is relatively inexpensive but I have a feeing from past experience it may not be, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
By JodelDavo
Rob P wrote:
JodelDavo wrote:Why people ever fill up at a motorway services is beyond me.

You've never had an expensed company car then?

Rob P

Lease arrangement, I paid for the fuel and got stupid amount of p/mile back again.. :roll: