Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From Oban airport, good news (at last) :thumright:.

*Avgas Update*
Work is nearing completion and were looking to have Avgas available by the end of April.

Just in time for Glenforsa opening (hopefully).

Last that I heard, the intention is to make this self-service on a credit card.

Iceman 8)
G-BLEW, Miscellaneous, Dave W and 10 others liked this
By JodelDavo
Charles Hunt wrote:Best place for GA in the world.

Front page news.

Airport may have fuel in the near future.

Yes but it’s HAS been quite a saga to get it.

At one time, I thought Glenforsa was the only small aerodrome in Scotland. :lol: :lol:

Nice to see Oban getting into the 20th century at last. Wonder how much the AVGAS will be?
By Iceman
Being self-service, it will be interesting to see whether that has an effect on what, historically, have been very high prices in Scotland. Paul Keegan always stated that there was a high cost associated with delivery to such remote places as Oban. There’s also the cost of the new infrastructure to recoup.

Iceman 8)
By DavidC
There are very few places to uplift AVGAS in that area. It will indeed be good to see that available again.

I also heard that Glasgow airport is now accepting GA visitors and has AVGAS. Does anybody know what price they are charging?
By mpk
A couple of months ago I checked with all airfields in that area (west coast of mainland and islands), only three have avgas, these inc. VAT:

Prestwick £2.06
Stornoway £2.04
Islay £3.27
Benbecula has Jet A1 but does not do avgas
By Kemble Pitts
mpk wrote:A couple of months ago I checked with all airfields in that area (west coast of mainland and islands), only three have avgas, these inc. VAT:

Prestwick £2.06
Stornoway £2.04
Islay £3.27
Benbecula has Jet A1 but does not do avgas

Yikes, big prices indeed.

And to think, they only dig it out of the sea locally... :shock:
By Bill McCarthy
Slapping higher charges on fuel due to remote locations is a sad excuse. Mogas to Wick costs 1p per litre to deliver but the local cartel put the price about 10 or 11p above that - until Tesco came on the scene and prices dropped to the U.K. average.