Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mikey wrote:Weybourne has a campsite at the end of the drive. The village shop does decent coffee and pastries and I've had a good meal in the Ship Inn.

Binham Manor Farm is 5 miles or so from Wells Next the Sea which is a nice spot, also close to Holkham Hall. I imagine there is a good supply of accommodation in the area.

Self catering cottage at Stonehill Farm adjacent to the strip, got a warm welcome the last time I was there.

If it's a base for a holiday , the owners of Binham Airfield have this to rent :thumright:

http://www.antwiscottage.co.uk/
OpenCirrus619 wrote:Sywell is convenient: https://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/
  • Hotel on site
  • Museum
  • "Interesting" flying (depending on what is going on)

Many gliding sites provide either on-site accomodation and/or camping.
That said, if you are not familiar with gliding operations I would get a REALLY good briefing - if you "cut up" a glider, on final, your stay is likely to be "brief".

OC619

Problem with Sywell (among others) is they are cost prohibitive when turbine is mentioned...piston single is less than £20 (including AN2, DHC Otter etc), Cessna Caravan is £140 (turbine helicopter of the same weight is £42.50) ...still only myself and my infinitely better half in the aeroplane in any of the scenarios ....there really needs to be a better charging model for airports.....something along the lines of £X per body in the aircraft? ..... Old Buck was equally ridiculous when I last wanted to go there to buy from a locally based business....

Barking mad https://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/aviation/charges/ why would a twin of the same weight be more than a single?
Iceman, Mark1eyeball, G-BLEW and 2 others liked this
TheDealer wrote: Old Buck was equally ridiculous when I last wanted to go there to buy from a locally based business....

That comes as no surprise.

Rob P
TheDealer wrote:Cessna Caravan is £140 (turbine helicopter of the same weight is £42.50)

Aerodrome landing pricing by helicopter weight is bemusing in light of skid-type helicopters not actually touching the runway or taxiways. All we do is set down and one point with the weight more evenly distributed along the skids - yet we're generally charged more for the same weight fixed-wing aeroplane landing fee.
By johnm
I rather suspect that charges for turbines and helicopters are based on perceived ability to pay....and the ongoing landing fee debate always has me in 2 minds. People who will pay £200 plus to fly for an hour then complain about a £20 landing fee and a £5 sandwich....but expect someone to find a way of keeping the airfield open and the caff going.....
By Dave W
johnm wrote:People who will pay £200 plus to fly for an hour ...

As is pointed out every time figures such as this are quoted as if they were the norm, and as if they are the baseline for justification of prices elsewhere:

Many, many pilots fly for less than a quarter of this figure.

For some reason, that point seems to be continually lost on some.
By johnm
@Dave W I know there are aircraft that fly cheap but my point was about the attitude of those of us who don't. Unless and until we get proper recognition of smaller airports as national infrastructure we need to support them or our ability to fly within the UK will be pretty limited. They in their turn need to promote usage with a coherent pricing structure.
There is no justification or reason to charge more (for the same good/service) just because one perceives another to have a higher annual income – this is absurd.

A real business person would think of how they could extract more money from said wealthier customers once they have landed; not just annoy them before they even arrive with an arcane landing fee structure and dismissive attitude.
Iceman, Dave W, AndyR and 1 others liked this
RisePilot wrote:There is no justification or reason to charge more

There is every reason. Pricing is one of the major tactical areas in marketing and the published volumes devoted to its intricacies would probably fill Wembley stadium. But tackling market segments separately and applying different pricing to them is one of the tools available.

The right price is the one the buyer is happy to pay and the seller is happy to receive. It may well be wrong - one of the airfields mentioned is fairly consistent in that - but I can still see an argument that runs

"Puddle jumpers are price sensitive and we need them here to keep the cafe and bowser busy. The turbine crowd are unlikely to be on a £200 burger run but are involved in transportation so have chosen us because it is convenient to their end destination. If they want a cheaper destination it will cost them more in cabs so they will probably pay the greater fee as a time saver. What they won't do is uplift fuel, because we haven't got any JET A1."

Rob P
johnm liked this
We are not losing airfields because people won't pay £20 landing fees! Airfields can't survive just on landing fees whatever they are!
Keep putting landing fees up and less people will visit!
We are losing airfields because they are easy meat for housing developers with no central government safeguarding!
Peter Gristwood, RisePilot, Iceman and 4 others liked this
By skydriller
Shoestring Flyer wrote:We are not losing airfields because people won't pay £20 landing fees!
We are losing airfields because they are easy meat for housing developers with no central government safeguarding!

This is the issue. Housing pressure on land use.