Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gordon Freeman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I can certainly recommend The Cornbin at Spilsted Farm in East Sussex.
Lay your head down in a comfy bed only 40 yards from your Aircraft. Observe aircraft manoeuvering whilst still in bed. 100LL available. Lovely spot, and there's even a maintenance facility on site. If you've not flown in before, you will need a briefing for noise abatement and a slightly hilly runway. Small twins operate here so plenty of room.
https://www.battlesussex.co.uk/director ... -corn-bin/
Dave W, G-BLEW liked this
By BobD
Dodo wrote:I've stayed at the Skylodge (at Perth airport EGPT) a couple of times, but not for several years. The first time there was a restaurant on site, the second I had to walk to a pub for supper. I don't think it was terribly far.

+1 for this destination. I stayed there overnight last summer, fantastic value at the Skylodge for less than £27 per night, and a pleasant 30 minute stroll into Scone for a delicious evening meal at the Scone Arms. :thumleft:
Forfoxake liked this
OpenCirrus619 wrote:Many gliding sites provide either on-site accomodation and/or camping.
That said, if you are not familiar with gliding operations I would get a REALLY good briefing - if you "cut up" a glider, on final, your stay is likely to be "brief".

OC619

Don't forget that a lot of gliding sites don't give PPR for powered visitors unless the visit is 'in connection with gliding activity'. In other words, don't forget to book yourself a trial flight as well!
OpenCirrus619 liked this
By Forfoxake
The BnB right on the strip at Caunton (and a short walk from a nice pub) used to be one of my favourites but I understand is no longer offering BnB. Sadly, the Kingarth Inn near Bute Airstrip is closed until further notice due to a bereavement.

However, I think that Holly Meadow Farm in Derbyshire still has a very good BnB on site. Though pricey imho, I can also vouch for the BnB across the road from the Islay Airport terminal.

Apart from these, and of course Skylodge at Perth, Glenforsa Hotel on Mull and the Aviator at Sywell, Lambley had some nice BnBs and pubs within walking distance and the Old Warden Guest House, with a pub right next door, is a fairly short walk from Shuttleworth.

PS Did not know that Knockbain Farm did BnB- must try it sometime.
By LysanderV8
ROG wrote:Grange Farm suffolk--- about 4 miles east of Wickenby.
Great strip 750 m--pretty sure you can pitch a tent there--superb b and b -
Owner is a pilot---I"ve used it as a base a few times In Lockyers.

Grange Farm in Lincolnshire is indeed excellent. Flown in there a number of times. Sarah and Jonathan are great hosts and if you have B&B rather than self catering, the breakfast is superb. They will usually lend you their car to go out to a local pub for dinner.
Weybourne has a campsite at the end of the drive. The village shop does decent coffee and pastries and I've had a good meal in the Ship Inn.

Binham Manor Farm is 5 miles or so from Wells Next the Sea which is a nice spot, also close to Holkham Hall. I imagine there is a good supply of accommodation in the area.

Self catering cottage at Stonehill Farm adjacent to the strip, got a warm welcome the last time I was there.