Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Easter Airfield with its Shepherd’s Hut.

Dornoch with its Castle Hotel not far away. I haven’t asked the hotel, but I’ve always got a lift for the short journey to the village from a local on the strip. A bar with over 400 bottles of malt whisky.

Unfortunately, we seem to have lost the Gigha strip, which gave access to the island’s hotel.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By Dodo
I've stayed at the Skylodge (at Perth airport EGPT) a couple of times, but not for several years. The first time there was a restaurant on site, the second I had to walk to a pub for supper. I don't think it was terribly far.

Exeter Airport has a new Holiday Inn on site. It's certainly convenient and was clean and pleasant when I stayed last year. There is a shuttle bus but I walked. Whether anyone would consider it a "great overnight location" is open to debate but as a staging post for West Country touring it's great.

I've never really found anywhere to beat the convenience and comfort of Glenforsa really. 30 seconds from leaving the aircraft to sitting in the bar.
By Dodo
And Southend also has a Holiday Inn on site and Blackpool a Premier Inn just across the road. I've stayed in the Premier Inn at Blackpool and eaten at the Southend Holiday Inn.

There's also a Premier Inn near Sandown airport if you don't fancy camping. I've not tried it.
T6Harvard liked this
Dodo wrote:And Southend also has a Holiday Inn on site

I have stayed there before a morning flight to a holiday destination and it's not at all bad.

Rob P
2Donkeys liked this
By definition the flying is fantastic for all the below airfields/strips.

There's Knockbain Farm strip in Dingwall, the owner does
B&B on site. An interesting strip sitting on a hill overlooking the Moray Firth. The owner flies and you are assured a warm welcome. It's even known for some technical help to be on hand. :D

Another recommendation is Lamb Holm in Orkney, just south of and connected to Orkney mainland by the famous Churchill Barrier causeway. There's no accommodation on the island, however I doubt it would be difficult to organise and worth a visit. The Italian Chapel is adjacent to the strip.

Glendoe sits in The Great Glen overlooking Loch Ness, it's a bit further than one would ideally like to the village of Fort Augustus. However enquiries when booking a B&B could well turn up a lift.

Plockton is another Highland village with an airfield. I believe camping is allowed on site, however I don't believe there are any facilities. It's not too far to walk to the village for accommodation.

Let's not forget the Sollas fly-in in July. Not necessary to go for the fly-in however at least you have the knowledge the beach has been cleared for arrival. There's no accommodation or facilities onsite, however for those who don't mind wild camping what a spot!! During a fly-in there is usually someone who will give you a lift to your accommodation. I was that someone in 2018 having gone on the surface for a week's camping.

The island of Coll is at the top of my bucket list. I understand there is a taxi which will pick you up and collect you from the island's hotel. I shall report back once I have been. Although I understand RobL is familiar with Coll. :thumright:
Rob P, Iceman, mick w and 8 others liked this
By 602fan
Smiddy House, Spean Bridge. Superb food and accommodation, especially the cottage to rear. About 30 min drive south of the strip at GlenDoe near Fort Augustus.

Or if you can persuade the landowner at Torlundy Farm, in the shadow of Ben Nevis, only a 10 minute drive...

The Old Station restaurant on the platform of Spean Bridge station is a pretty close second to the Smiddy House
By lutonwho
Islay is a great destination and there is a fantastic B&B across the road from the GA parking at Islay airport, maybe 20-30 metres away. The B&B is called Glenegedale House, the rooms are amazing and the hosts very welcoming. Highly recommended. LW
Forfoxake liked this
By Iceman
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman, well they're apparently taking bookings for this year. :thumright:

I wonder if the grounds are big enough for a Maule? :wink:

I’ve always admired that place from the seafront in Plockton so must give it a go. If I can’t get the Maule on the lawn, I’ll have to settle for Plockton airfield :D. £10 in the honesty box as a landing fee. Mind you, I’ve never had a bill for the last time that we met at Broadford.

Isn’t there a 1-star Michelin restaurant in a hotel just south of Broadford airport ?

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:I’ve always admired that place from the seafront in Plockton so must give it a go.

At those prices I'll join you for a drink and camp on the lawn. :wink:

Iceman wrote:Isn’t there a 1-star Michelin restaurant in a hotel just south of Broadford airport ?

There's a couple of hotels, I don't believe there's a Michelin star place though.
Iceman liked this