Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Looking for suggestions on places to fly and stay overnight in the UK, as I'd like to put something along these lines in the magazine.

Ideally it's an airfield in a nice spot with accommodation on site, but could also be sites that are great for flying in and camping, because there's good facilities available. Also interested to hear of airfields where there's any aviation friendly hotels - they come and collect you - nearby.

So for example, Glenforsa Hotel - great airfield, beautiful spot and good accommodation. Or Sandown - lovely airfield, with glamping facilities.

If there's some places that the more hardy campers feel are really worth recommending, then I'm open to ideas too!

If you've got a favourite place, and have photos from a stay - then I'd like to hear from you!
Sywell is convenient: https://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/
  • Hotel on site
  • Museum
  • "Interesting" flying (depending on what is going on)

Many gliding sites provide either on-site accomodation and/or camping.
That said, if you are not familiar with gliding operations I would get a REALLY good briefing - if you "cut up" a glider, on final, your stay is likely to be "brief".

OC619
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There's the Point.

https://www.thepointatpolzeath.co.uk/

Never been there.

G-JWTP

PS But I know a man that has!

Ed: Thinking about this a bit sideways, if you are good at haggeling why not have a go at LHR/STN/LGW. They're a bit cash strapped and will have bundles of capacity.
Last edited by G-JWTP on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great Massingham for the airfield, Dabbling Duck for the overnight (easy walking distance)

Limo pick-up optional :lol:

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2Donkeys liked this
By nallen
The farmhouse at Hinton-in-the-Hedges (right on the airfield) does B&B .

https://www.walltreehouse.co.uk/

They are also putting in some "glamping" units in the field behind the hangars but I don't think these are ready yet.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ChampChump
We enjoyed a good B&B in the village, with a lift provided kindly by one of the Oaksey Park owners.; Headcorn is a short walk to the village; Sandown and Clacton: easy walk to your chosen overnight accommodation. And Maypole, where friendly residents will give you a lift...oh, hang on. Come to think of it that list could continue a few inches more of 'within hoofing distance of' and if not, a lift is often offered.

Each time this subject comes up I think most places I have visited in the country have been happy to accept overnight campers.

Across the water, Abbeville, desppite lack of customs now: watch your aeroplane from the motel window; Nogarao 200 yards away from the hotel... & of course there many others in France a mile or two from town.
By Iceman
Memories of flying in to the now gone (for aircraft arrivals) Château la Chassagne near Dijon. Picked up by Rolls Royce at your aircraft and ferried the 100 metres to the hotel entrance. Initiation into the club by de-corking a champagne bottle with a French cavalry sword. A couple of fab weekends spent there in the summers of 2003 and 2004.

Iceman 8)
GeorgeJLA liked this
By Iceman
I believe that Pete and Jan (a British couple) have also stopped doing their fab B&B at the Biscarrosse Airpark. Land on the hard runway, taxi through an electric barrier (controlled by the tower), and join the road system to their rather nice house, which included swimming pool, apron for three aircraft and a garage-hangar with a Cessna 337. I went there with Aerbabe, the bonus being the float plane flying we did the following day from the hard runway onto the local lake.

Iceman 8)
GeorgeJLA liked this
By Iceman
Lundy with a tent, if you’re into camping and have a suitable aircraft. Other accommodation is available, including the old lighthouse. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served at the Marisco Tavern.

Iceman 8)
Nick liked this
By Dave W
ChampChump wrote: ...La Rebreyotte in the Dordogne was rather fun.

Oh, UK or not that's going straight onto my list for when it's possible!
850m of grass, too.

Here's the public website. Looks wonderful.
Iceman, GeorgeJLA liked this
By GrahamB
Well, if we're now including France in the OP's definition of 'UK', can I suggest Gap-Tallard in the Haute-Alpes?

Busy little field in a superb setting, great restaurant on-site and an acceptable hotel with pool just off the end of the runway.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArthurG, 2Donkeys liked this