Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Or 'banana republics' before some branch of the UN visits...
Or indeed large swathes of London leading up to 2012.

Or just an excuse to do something which is long overdue and needs doing anyway, great news if it can be funded from a central fund. ;)

Code: Select allupgrades needed so that aircraft carrying world leaders can land at the airport

They clearly have very special aircraft, those world leaders...

Anything others can benefit from as well, hopefully?
Well, there are very few aircraft types that Newquay couldn't take. My guess it's the security that will take all the money - that and a large number of flags around.

Looking forward to seeing how much airspace will be taken for the duration ie everything west of the Tamar
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When the Newquay had a fly-in some years back, I landed nicely on the numbers, but then had a mile-long taxi along the runway to the exit. Actually, I took off again and landed closer.... :lol:

But I felt I could almost have landed across the runway.

Not sure why they need to spend to tidy the place. It would be nice to have a better restaurant, though I can't see Heads of State hanging around the airport at all - they'd be on their way to the seaside with their buckets and spades as soon as the doors on the aircraft open

Oh - and they are leaving it late to get on with the work - 8-10 weeks.
I guess that's how much it costs to deploy the surface to air missiles required for security!

On a serious note, I can't see how this is ever going to end well for the local authority. At a time when budgets are under extreme pressure and national debt is growing, throwing £7M+ to upgrade a regional airport for a conference lasting a few days seems like it would open to a lot of head-scratching.