Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Wick airport runway 13/31 was reinforced and lengthened slightly at a cost of £8 million to take the Globemaster for the transfer of “Plut” from Dounreay to the USA. Unfortunately, the aircraft could not take off with a full load of fuel and had to top up at Lossiemouth before the crossing. It highly likely that it may close due to lack of traffic. Basically, local councillors want funds in order that empty domestic flights can continue. It’s cheaper to take a holiday for a week in Spain from Inverness than to take a flight Wick/ Aberdeen.
Last edited by Bill McCarthy on Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newquay airport is great and I have alwasy given it a great big thumbs up. I have flown there numerous times and always been looked after well. Its location is brilliant for all sorts of things and given the weather :D it is very useful to have full approach services.

Any investment is welcome, although we jest, and hopefully, as is often the case, we will see some run off benefits after the summit is long forgotten.
kanga, Iceman liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aeronca Alan wrote:That £7.8 million will likely go on a gold-plated lavatory. Thereafter Newquay's fantastic VVIP facility will be regularly used ... by the cleaner and the security bloke with the key.

I remember the official opening of our shiny new state-of-the-art factory by Princess Diana, which required not only the construction of a dedicated toilet facility, but also its complete destruction the second she left the site.

Needless to say, on the day she wasn’t caught short, so the value of the possible ‘mementos’ wasn’t that high anyway!
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
townleyc wrote:I am more interested in what the upgrades are. Will any be useful in the future?

KE

I refer the gentleman to my earlier post :

skydriller wrote:That money is for security considerations. End of.

I fear that any upgrade will actually make said aerodrome less user-friendly in the future.