Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
malcolmfrost wrote:An earlier launch was a bit "loose" with the conditions from the FAA who are responsible so maybe they are keeping a close eye on it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/spacex-launches-starship-sn11-but-appears-to-crash-on-landing-attempt.html

From the report “ A spectator holds a piece of debris which was blown 5 miles (8 km) from the site where SpaceX test rocket SN11 exploded upon landing, in Boca Chica, Texas, March 30, 2021.”

Eeeeek! Nice momento though. Assuming it doesn’t kill you....
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Kerboom.

It launched in the fog, and crashed in the fog...

Apparently it blew up in mid-air at about 1500ft. Could have been a loss of telemetry which triggered the flight termination system, but not sure at the moment, could have just gone bang.

If they're going to have spectacular arrivals like that I wish they would do it with clear skies so we can all join in.... :wink:
cirrostratus, Hooligan, Lockhaven and 2 others liked this
At around T+0.25 seconds on their clock after the launch did anyone else see the hot gases and flames escaping from the engine in the left of the video, not long after they used a different camera in the engine bay, but during the first engine shutdown around T+2.05 - T+2.20 flames were again visible around the back of the same engine.

I am not a rocket engine engineer but to me that didn't look normal to have such heat escaping from a casing.

Last edited by Lockhaven on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
riverrock wrote:If you look at previous videos you'll see there is always a burst of flame as they shutdown an engine.

I am talking about what looks like a fuel leak fire coming out of the side of the left engine in the video at T+0.25 seconds, its a bright orange flame increasing with intensity for around 5 seconds until they switch cameras.

Last edited by Lockhaven on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first Super Heavy booster that will take Starship to orbit has been rolled out for testing. It’s currently configured with twenty nine Raptor engines I think, but can have up to thirty two or thirty three I believe, and with Starship attached stands taller than a Saturn V and with something like twice the thrust :shock:

Katamarino, bilko2 liked this