Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
SteveX wrote:For anyone wondering what the exact words from our Authority state they are cut and pasted from their website below. I honestly can't think of any clearer way to put it. Someone above asked about N reg, it's all there...........why do we need another endless debate on here. Apply tonight, you will have a PMD receipt within 10 minutes.

A medical declaration (from 25th August 2016) is an affirmation of your medical ‘fitness to fly’ and may be used to exercise the privileges of a:

• UK Part-FCL Private Pilot Licence (PPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilots Licence (LAPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-SFCL Sailplane Pilot Licence (SPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-BFCL Balloon Pilot Licence (BPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft but restricted to private and commercial operation only (excluding commercial passenger ballooning, commercial operation only if commercial operation rating held).
• NPPL (NPPL) to fly UK (G) registered non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK PPL to fly UK (G) registered non-Part 21 aircraft; and
• A UK Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Balloons that is restricted to commercial operation and the privileges of a UK PPL (Balloons and Airships).

It is valid for flying with the following operational conditions;
• With not more than three passengers on board;
• in aircraft with a Maximum Take-Off Mass (MTOM) of 5700kg or less
• In Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) or when exercising the privileges of an Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC)/Instrument Rating (Restricted). The privileges of a full Instrument Rating (IR) are not applicable.
• by day or night when exercising the privileges of a Night Rating provided that colour safety has previously been checked by an AME.
• PMDs are not valid outside of UK airspace, as it is not an internationally-recognised medical standard, unless permission has been granted by the State of the airspace you are flying in.

This bit is clear, although it does not take into account OSR4 No1471.

It's the next bit that causes the confusion:

"Holders of UK national licences only, to only fly aircraft no greater than 2000 kg MTOM
You may fly an aircraft no greater than 2000kg MTOM, provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness. If you are taking medication for a psychiatric illness you must consult an AME and apply for a LAPL medical certificate, or

Holders of UK national and Part-FCL Licences, to fly any aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM
Do not suffer from any physical or mental condition or illness, or any history of such a condition or illness that might impair the safe operation of normal flight controls or render the licence holder unfit at any time to perform any function for which the licence is granted. As a minimum, such conditions include:

(a) any alcohol or drug abuse, addiction or misuse;
(b) any neurological condition requiring medication;
(c) any functional disability likely to impair safe operation of normal flight controls;
(d) any recent surgery or new medical treatment;
(e) any collapse, fainting (syncope), seizure or loss of consciousness;
(f) any history of (a) to (e); or

(g) other medical conditions specified by the CAA:
i. Being prescribed medication for any psychiatric illness
ii. Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or other psychotic illness, or a diagnosis of personality disorder
iii. Dementia or cognitive impairment
iv. Being prescribed medication or treatment for angina or heart failure
v. Cardiac surgical procedures including coronary angioplasty or stenting and cardiac device implantation
vi. Insulin treatment for diabetes
vii. Chronic lung disease with shortness of breath on exertion

If any of the above are present the applicant must visit an AME and apply for a LAPL or Class 2 medical certificate (as appropriate to the privileges that they are seeking to exercise)."

PS It does not seem to matter which or how many licence types you tick at the start of the current online PMD. You are still asked at the end to sign up to the full, confusingly worded, medical requirements above needed to fly aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM (even if your licence only allows you to fly no greater than 2000kg).

The only other option is to withdraw a previously submitted declaration.

There is no mention in the actual declaration of the no greater than 2000kg alleviation even if you only tick National Private Pilot Licence (NPPL) or UK Private Pilot Licence (UK PPL).
JAFO, flybymike liked this
@SteveX - I agree that what you cut and pasted above is clear but that's not the full story of the PMD, is it?

You can declare different things depending on medical history and aircraft weight. That may then also affect which licence you can use it in conjunction with and, therefore, whether or not you can fly Part 21 aircraft.

It's all very well telling people that they should read the guidance and understand it but you're not then giving all the guidance.
SteveX wrote:I just don't get why people constantly look for non-existent problems and refuse to believe what is written in plain English.

Always interesting to see such different perceptions of the world. 'Constantly looking for non-existent problems' or 'Having a rational debate'. 'Plain English' or 'Poorly drafted gobbledegook'. Each to his own version of reality...
patowalker wrote:..

I am definitely disappointed. The tiny bit in Manx is barely legible :wink:

[ I assume it reads Reiltys Ellan Vannin ]
I realised yesterday my PMD had expired. I couldn't get the portal to work but found that I could in fact still do a new PMD through the old system. Phew!
It didn't ask any questions about 2000kg or 5700kg but produced the following acknowledgment that makes things rather clearer:

Medical Fitness
If you reasonably know or believe that your physical or mental condition renders you temporarily or permanently unfit, or you have been advised by a medical practitioner, you must withdraw your medical declaration and not fly.

If you have developed one or more of the disqualifying medical conditions specified by the CAA, you must withdraw your medical declaration and be assessed by a UK CAA-approved Aeromedical Examiner for a Light Aircraft Pilot's Licence (LAPL) medical certificate if you wish to resume flying.

Your pilot's licence is invalid without a current applicable medical certificate or declaration. It is your responsibility to renew the declaration if it has expired or make a further declaration on recovery after a period of unfitness.

Validity Periods
For pilots less than 70-years of age the declaration is valid until your 70th birthday. The declaration is valid for 3-years for pilots aged 70 years or more.

Applicable Licence Types

EU Part-FCL PPL to fly non-EASA aircraft,
EU Part-FCL LAPL to fly non-EASA aircraft,
National Private Pilot Licences (NPPL),
UK Private Pilot Licences (UK PPL), or
UK Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Balloons that is restricted to commercial operation and to the privileges of a UK PPL (Balloons and Airships),
can be used in conjunction with a Pilot Medical Declaration subject to these limitations:

Aircraft No Greater than 2000kg MTOM provided you are not taking medication for any psychiatric illness. or
Aircraft Less than 5700kg MTOM if you have not had one or more of the CAA-specified medical conditions
Applicable Aircraft Types.
You cannot use the Pilot Medical Declaration to fly EASA aircraft that require a EU Part-FCL pilot's licence. A pilot with an EU Part-FCL PPL or LAPL may fly non-EASA aircraft in conjunction with this declaration.

Carriage of Passengers.
You may use the Pilot Medical Declaration to carry up to three passengers on board an aircraft less than 5700kg MTOM.

Geographical Limitations.
The Pilot Medical Declaration is not recognised internationally and you may not use it to fly outside of the UK, unless you have obtained permission from the relevant aviation authority of the countries being overflown or visited in advance.
Hi, MikeW.

Whether or not the content of the acknowledgement helps probably depends on what licence one has and what one wishes to fly. If the acknowledgement ticks an individual’s boxes in this respect, there is no real reason to delve deeper.

It seems to me however that the list of applicable licence types mentioned in the acknowledgement is not the same as that promulgated by the CAA. There is a link to this on the first page of this thread but in relation to PMDs lists the following licence types and categories (is that the correct term for Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft) of aircraft:

“... Self-declaring your medical fitness using the Pilot Medical Declaration

Once you have a licence, if you only want to fly UK (G) registered aircraft in UK airspace you can use the online Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD).

A medical declaration (from 25th August 2016) is an affirmation of your medical ‘fitness to fly’ and may be used to exercise the privileges of a:

• UK Part-FCL Private Pilot Licence (PPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilots Licence (LAPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-SFCL Sailplane Pilot Licence (SPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK Part-BFCL Balloon Pilot Licence (BPL) to fly UK (G) registered Part 21 and non-Part 21 aircraft but restricted to private and commercial operation only (excluding commercial passenger ballooning, commercial operation only if commercial operation rating held).
• NPPL (NPPL) to fly UK (G) registered non-Part 21 aircraft;
• UK PPL to fly UK (G) registered non-Part 21 aircraft; and
• A UK Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Balloons that is restricted to commercial operation and the privileges of a UK PPL (Balloons and Airships)...”

I don’t know if I am missing something, but there seems to be a lack of consistency in particular concerning reference to EU and UK part FCL licences.