Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
@sssdu01, how very refreshing to read your post 1834031 in which you encapsulate the essence of flying. :D Absolutely fantastic. :thumright: You don't say whether you have completed your 60mile radius task? If so what's next, the furthest UK airfields from your home base? :wink:

My faith is restored that there are others that fly for the sake of flying and not merely as a means of visiting various greasy spoons cafes for the purpose of compare and contrast. That's a different hobby in my book. :wink:

Please don't be keeping your future flying adventures to yourself for so long. We need more, much more, flying content. :D

DaveW wrote:If only I had videos to add.

...you'll at least have some stills? :?
lobstaboy, Lockhaven, JAFO and 2 others liked this
If you really want to expand your options, try helicopters.

Reading this thread, I just looked in my electronic backup logbook and see that in the past 15yrs my UK landings include 73 differing private sites (many visited quite often) but only 9 UK aerodromes (inclusive of my home base) and none of the other airfields having more than a handful of landings. With so many private sites on offer, I have a present list of over 30 locations that I plan to visit.

I’ve got nearly as many aerodrome landings in FRA, ESP or USA as I do here at home in the UK.

EDIT: I will also add that (excepting aerodromes) I have not once paid a landing fee in several hundred landings
Last edited by RisePilot on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RisePilot wrote:If you really want to expand your options, try helicopters.

or, for a lot lower direct operating costs*, autogyros, which some 'heliports' have been known to accommodate :) Now available with enclosed, side-by-side cabins :thumright: And lower safe speeds and ability to use much smaller spaces in emergencies may mean that marginal forecast or encountered VMC are less daunting. Twice in my last years of flying I (both times with another experienced but also VFR only PPL) failed to make a fly-in in a well-equipped fixed wing (once scrubbed, once turned back), which a newishly qualified autogyro pilot I know managed to reach confidently.

[*although purchase, learning and insuring may still be a lot costlier than fixed wing equivalent, while still being less than helicopter]
Nero wrote:I do like the look of the Ikarus. There's a very enjoyable channel on YouTube of an Ikarus owner.

The running and purchase costs are very appealing too.

But... How do you fit more than one person in there??

Using Skydemon = 180kg usable, round numbers, and fuel is 50kg of that gone. I'm 105kg currently. Leaves enough for a bit of kit and a packlunch.

Maybe that's enough

~ Scott

With BRS fitted:

Empty weight 288kg for the 100HP 912s
MTOW 472.5
Burns 12 lph @ 0.76 SG, so keeping a reasonable 20l reserve means 24 kg for 1 hour's flying (inc reserve)

So, you've got 160.5kg to play with, reducing by 9kg for every extra hour's endurance you want.

The answer is either:

Fly solo
    Fly with a smaller/lighter passenger
    Lose weight

Having said that, I think that this is the dirty secret nobody talks about when it comes to microlights (although I'm sure there was a thread on this last year) - I reckon that being 'creative' about MTOW is pretty rife, even if it's unacceptable and unlawful.

I'm sure there are lots of 'average' male students sitting next to lots of 'average' male instructors - flying with 40 or 50 litres in the tank - which means you'd need the average passenger weight to be under 73.25kg to remain within limits.

I weigh 87kg and have just lost a fair bit of weight (I was 97kg in November), so it doesn't take much maths to work out the high probability that many clubs, schools and groups are flying overweight. I also don't fly naked (well, when people are watching) so take off weight can be nudged up a bit more also.

As I said, not wanting to provoke the hornet's nest, but just to call out that you're right: the C42 is basically a microlight for flying solo, or taking up your partner/kid, or it's something for lightweight flyers who are genuinely below average in weight.
HedgeSparrow liked this
Out of interest.

The costs for mandated servicing the Cirrus chute are horrendous. (To me. I guess Cirrus owners are wealthy enough not to care)

What financial impact does chute servicing have on the microlights so fitted?

Rob P
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flyingearly wrote:Just to add: disregard the CAA 'average' figures:

UK average male weighs 83.6kg
UK average female weighs 70.2kg
Average weight of clothes is 0.8kg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11534042
https://tiphero.com/subtract-the-weight-of-clothes

So, to add - 2 average UK male adults can't fly together within MTOW.
Thanks for the maths, confirms what I suspected. I've also lost 10kg this year but I'll be 6ft under when I next weigh 83kg.

It's still an aircraft (not plane ) very much in my mindset for when everyone around me is bored that I can fly a plane.

The OP and other social channels show it to be a gateway to lots of flying fun!

~ Scott
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:My faith is restored that there are others that fly for the sake of flying and not merely as a means of visiting various greasy spoons cafes for the purpose of compare and contrast. That's a different hobby in my book. :wink:

Not really. I don't know about you but I can't go a whole weekend without eating. Might as well track down some decent scoff if you need to eat anyway.
Nero wrote:The OP and other social channels show it to be a gateway to lots of flying fun!

This is the key to reversing the trend of new pilots giving up in short order post gaining their licence.

Educating those coming through the schools that LAA and BMAA machines are actually an integral part of GA flying and not an obscure fringe activity only accessible via a hidden gateway.

The number of pilots I meet that have no idea anything other than CoA machines exist and/or have been frightened off alternatives never ceases to amaze. I recall having a meeting about starting a group. The extent of the discussion (bordering argument) from one individual who in arguing against the LAA maintenance regime simply overlooked the aeroplane he rented was put in a field off the end of Inverness' 23 a week or so prior... :roll:

Just to be crystal clear I am not directing my points at Nero, or any other new pilots who appear to be purposefully left in the dark.
kanga, Paul Kiddell liked this
@Paul_Sengupta as you are well aware, the point I am making is the difference between a & b. :D

a)
which cafe shall I visit today?
shall I take the aeroplane
mmm, how much is the landing fee
£20, na too much,
where else can I go for cake and £10 landing fee
or shall I just drive so I can have the cake

b)
great forecast, I'm flying tomorrow.
where to go
the scenery over xxxxx will be at its best in this weather at this time of year, sorted.
now, what options are there for eating
if none, I'll take a sandwich

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
AndyR, T6Harvard liked this
By foxmoth
skydriller wrote:
foxmoth wrote:When they make a +/- 6g microlight I might think again

They do : There is a guy with two (one for sale) at my aerodrome. :wink:
https://www.murphyair.com/detail/renegade.html
http://www.aeromax.fr/fichier_occasions/index_occasions.htm

Maybe but -
The aircraft type is not cleared for aerobatics in the UK.
so still not fitting my brief :(

Rob P -
The insured value of my aircraft is now at 205% of the price I paid for the RV six years ago. That differential buys a lot of Avgas.
yes, but then to get the benefit of that you need to sell the aircraft!
Not in any particular order

a: Lovely flying day. Let's go to France
b: Not a brilliant flying day, but the weather will be better in France
c: Lovely flying day but short of time. Let's go and do a few loops
d: My flying chums are headed for the Dabbling Duck. Shall we take the aeroplane or drive so I can have an ale or two, or five?
e: Let's share a flight with someone who has never experienced light GA before

Rob P

foxmoth wrote: but then to get the benefit of that you need to sell the aircraft!

Comes to us all sooner or later :cry:
By patowalker
flyingearly wrote:With BRS fitted:

Empty weight 288kg for the 100HP 912s
MTOW 472.5
Burns 12 lph @ 0.76 SG, so keeping a reasonable 20l reserve means 24 kg for 1 hour's flying (inc reserve)

So, you've got 160.5kg to play with, reducing by 9kg for every extra hour's endurance you want.

That is the maximum empty weight allowed for a C42 with a parachute, calculated by taking MTOW 472.5kg, less 2 x 86kg occupants, less weight of fuel for 1 hour at MCP (in this case 12.5kg). The typical empty weight is lower than 288kg.