Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The challenge is to land at every strip, not just the easy ones :lol: :lol:

Harwicke (near Shobden ) is probably in the tricky category , and the steep downhill departure was exciting as the ground dropped away before we were actually flying.

We thought Bromsgrove was very very difficult and only just made it .........then realised we had landed on the very short grass section they had cut for the model planes :D and in fact had lots of runway to spare.

Cardiff international to St Athan was a very short flight, 3 mins !!

For sheer panic nothing beats Birmingham international . However all the panic was in the tower not the C42 !!! and you could just sense the sheer blind panic when we called in for airfield info and join ........ The reply back was you want to land here ??? (Yes we had PPR'd but I dont think they get many microlights land at Brumyham airport)

Brize gets the prize for the biggest circuit as the tower had us on a proper 747 plus size circuit, and we were so far away I lost sight of the airfield. I dread to think how much £££ per minuet the Hercules costs sat at the hold waiting for us to land :lol:

You also get the chance to wind up the controllers at big jet airports with a short landing demonstration , which is normally followed by "Sorry dont take that exit its the next one" :lol:
Dave W, T6Harvard liked this
I admire a bit of strip flying adventure. Over in my own part of the world I've made an effort to land in as many places as any man in a fixed-wing. Generally, it's not so much the wrong aeroplane, it's the wrong tires and technique. A good Taylorcraft, Rallye, Pacer etc will work into almost all the strips that are deemed microlight airfields. I often used to ring for PPR and the owner would say, this is a microlight strip you haven't a chance of landing here in a Cessna. They were quite often surprised at the resulting arrival once PPR was negotiated.

I will admit a microlight has a massive advantage with lower weight being easier to stop in any of the small fields. There is a safety advantage to their higher take-off performance and lower inertia. I had never sat in an Xair before, but when given the chance to fly out of a 250m strip in it I was amazed how doable it all was. We have a tribe in Ireland called the "Land Africans" who roam from place to place, and are known to land at 90 degree's to strips that we consider tight. The width of the runway is enough for them :)
lobstaboy liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks again for the inspiration, @sssdu01 - it is a fun exercise!

Jodels and motorgliders can have long legs.

Now to do the rest of the World when I I flew GA on holidays and work trips. :D
JAFO, Lockhaven, ChampChump and 3 others liked this
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Here is the updated list of the 304 places I have landed P1 in a Kitfox (latest visit):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Only one I could not find- Elm Farm in Ireland. Anyone got any idea where it is?

Looks like I need to visit W Ireland, S Wales, East Anglia and SW England when lockdown ends!
Dave W, Lockhaven, JAFO and 2 others liked this