Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Miscellaneous wrote:
Just to be crystal clear I am not directing my points at Nero, or any other new pilots who appear to be purposefully left in the dark.

It's fine, you're absolutely right. If it hadn't been for here and youtube, I'd never have even heard of a C42.

There are also a load of weird and wonderful looking aircraft in the microlight section of AFORS, but again students would likely view them as fringe/odd/dangerous, I believe.

For example, what the ruddy 'ell is this?!

https://afors.com/aircraftView/51431

~ Scott
kanga, Miscellaneous liked this
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Aviasud Mistral from the 1980-90's. Just had to be a bargain at £3500....and people moan and say flying is expensive!!

And it sold pretty quickly too. Examples like that don't usually get onto AFORS - they sell straight away by word of mouth. Its the same with Shadows and TSTs, and even AXs and Xairs in good condition. Some of the early microlights are increasing in value at the moment.
By AfricanEagle
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:My faith is restored that there are others that fly for the sake of flying and not merely as a means of visiting various greasy spoons cafes for the purpose of compare and contrast. That's a different hobby in my book. :wink:

Not really. I don't know about you but I can't go a whole weekend without eating. Might as well track down some decent scoff if you need to eat anyway.

I don't know about you but I can't go a whole weekend without flying. :wink:

I can go the whole day without food if I am out and flying about. I just have a bigger dinner in the evening.
AndyR, Miscellaneous liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
AfricanEagle wrote:I can go the whole day without food if I am out and flying about. I just have a bigger dinner in the evening.

The problem: in the northerly latitudes of the UK in June/July it's about 10.30pm by the time it gets dark and flying activities for the day are over. Then it's 15 mins to put the aeroplane to bed and an hour's drive home, by which time it's getting on for midnight. Not the time you want to be thinking about having to start cooking, and also it's a long time to go without food if your last meal was the previous day.
Nero wrote:It's fine, you're absolutely right. If it hadn't been for here and youtube, I'd never have even heard of a C42.

Many never do and consequently give up when they become disillusioned with hiring from flying schools.

Shame really. Never mind knowing the potential you don't fit in to that category. :thumright:

Some others find the forum and conclude flying is all about greasy spoon cafes. :lol: :wink:
Miscellaneous (not) wrote:Some others find the forum and conclude flying is all about pedantry and being wise after the event.

FTFY. ;)
Miscellaneous, RisePilot, ChampChump and 2 others liked this
The Ikarus C42 has received approval in Germany for MTOW of 540 or 560kg depending on model.
When the new 600kg microlight definition comes into effect I would expect these weights to (soon) be recognised in the UK.
This would give a usable payload of 540 - 280 = 260kg which should be enough for full tanks (65l = 49kg) a substantial pilot (105kg?) leaving 106kg for your passenger and luggage.
The latest C42 C model is approved to 560kg with 277kg of payload. That should be enough for most.
kanga, Lockhaven liked this
Nero wrote:
RayP wrote:The latest C42 C model is approved to 560kg with 277kg of payload. That should be enough for most.

That's more like it!

To be clear, the C model is already approved to that limit? And prior models need a change in our rules?

~ Scott

If it is you can't fly it on a microlight licence.

The incoming 600kg weight limit for micros isn't totally straightforward. Individual aeroplanes won't magically overnight have a higher weight limit (though it should be a simple paperwork exercise for some) and pilots with an NPPL (m) are going to need differences training (and instructors!).
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
lobstaboy wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Aviasud Mistral from the 1980-90's. Just had to be a bargain at £3500....and people moan and say flying is expensive!!

And it sold pretty quickly too. Examples like that don't usually get onto AFORS - they sell straight away by word of mouth. Its the same with Shadows and TSTs, and even AXs and Xairs in good condition. Some of the early microlights are increasing in value at the moment.

Anything which relies on the lower wing pivoting around the spar axis for roll control has to be a bad idea right?

Couple that with a single ignition two stroke engine with dubious reliability track record and a readiness to spin at the waft of a cap places any owner as a prime candidate for a Darwin Award at the very least.
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:

Anything which relies on the lower wing pivoting around the spar axis for roll control has to be a bad idea right?

Couple that with a single ignition two stroke engine with dubious reliability track record and a readiness to spin at the waft of a cap places any owner as a prime candidate for a Darwin Award at the very least.

If you say so...
By Forfoxake
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:

Largely agree with you about the Rotax 532 but despite the unusual wing arrangement, I found it handled quite nicely when I flew one years ago.
I missed this thread when it was new so I’m a bit late... But let me interrupt the discussion and go back to commending @sssdu01 for the fantastic map: I wish I had a video of all the 100+ places I’ve been so I could do the same.

Really well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
JAFO, Lockhaven, The Kissimmee Bum and 3 others liked this