Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By oldbiggincfi
Can I ask DAVE W to reproduce that rather splendid chart .

I fear some of our A/C group members have lost the plot and need reminding .

Thanks in advance .
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
oldbiggincfi wrote:Can I ask DAVE W to reproduce that rather splendid chart .

I fear some of our A/C group members have lost the plot and need reminding .

Thanks in advance .

I think it may be 'in update'
.I'm pretty sure someone in it will know if aircraft is a part 21 or not, and know syndicate rules for flying after a break.
basic rule #1: UK licence: does licence number have FCL in the licence reference (number)? if so, you're lucky. If not, if it is a Part 21 aircraft, have a look at the final item of page 2 of http://www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf and fly the aircraft with that in mind.
As for licences/ratings:
If rating has expired, tough, have a proficiency check with an examiner, there was no extension of ratings or medicals into 2021 whatever your barista told you.
If no rating because you have a LAPL(A), have you got 12 to&l and 12 hours of either p1 or pu/t in a suitable aircraft, of which a minimum 60 minutes is pu/t training, in the 24 months before the intended flight? (Any p1 could be fixed wing microlight if you have differences training signed off.) If yes, fly, if not, make up the '12s' dual or have a prof check with an examiner. If you do the former, and fly p1 on a different day, check again. If the latter, no worries for 2 years (except 90 day passenger rule)
By Dave W
@Irv is as ever correct - it does require an update.

This is the latest issued version (and you can always find it in my signature block - for those using devices that show three dots at the bottom of posts, click on those and it will appear).
Link to PDF version also available here.

Amongst the changes required are the removal of references to EASA PPLs (now "CAA FCL PPLs", despite what they may still say on the front!) and an amendment to confirm that Microlight hours can be counted towards Reval by Experience.

And what Irv said.

I will get round to 'post-BREXITing' it at some point.
By oldbiggincfi
Thank you Dave W

We've got to grips with what's what or not thanks to the Forum .

But for the rank & file group members don't believe me when I say something like " You can't fly to France "

And as for licences understanding the difference between Renewal & Revalidation .

Should be interesting when flying starts again .
By Dave W
oldbiggincfi wrote:But for the rank & file group members don't believe me when I say something like " You can't fly to France "

Watch this space before too long for something which will hopefully demystify that.
Nick, JAFO liked this
By Irv Lee
Ian Melville wrote:Where does the JAA PPL(A) sit within the grand scheme of things?

It was legally an expired EASA PPL(A), even though they cannot expire. Presumably it is legally an expired UK FCL PPL which also cannot expire, assuming it was a UK JAA PPL(A).
And it can be exhumed into an UK FCL PPL if so.
By oldbiggincfi
flybymike wrote:Is that the mode A and mode C group?

Do me a favour I'm a pilot and no need to be bright, so explain what's that about .

Well I used to fly - maybe I did .
By Ian Melville
Irv Lee wrote:
Ian Melville wrote:Where does the JAA PPL(A) sit within the grand scheme of things?

It was legally an expired EASA PPL(A), even though they cannot expire. Presumably it is legally an expired UK FCL PPL which also cannot expire, assuming it was a UK JAA PPL(A).
And it can be exhumed into an UK FCL PPL if so.

Thanks Irv, the last paragraph is what I was trying to find out. Currently fly on an NPPL (SSEA) with self declaration. Medical reasons prevented me getting an LAPL medical or higher. CAA were happy, in fact suggested, the declaration route. Medical issue may now be resolved, and wondering if it was possible to resurrect my PPL?
By GrahamB
Dave W wrote:...and an amendment to confirm that Microlight hours can be counted towards Reval by Experience.

I'm boggered if I can find the source reference for that, I've been searching for it on and off for the last few days but can't locate it. Any ideas?
By Dave W
I have struggled with finding a definitive reference too , which is one of the reasons I have not yet modified the table.

There are several statements from people in the know to be found in other forum threads, but if there has been a link to a formal statement then I must have missed it. Because I have been unable to verify the detail, and typically the detail has been crucial for this stuff, I am reluctant to make a possibly erroneous change.
GrahamB liked this
By Marvin
Dave W wrote:I have struggled with finding a definitive reference too , which is one of the reasons I have not yet modified the table.

There are several statements from people in the know to be found in other forum threads, but if there has been a link to a formal statement then I must have missed it. Because I have been unable to verify the detail, and typically the detail has been crucial for this stuff, I am reluctant to make a possibly erroneous change.

The only reference I have been able to find is here and states in the final paragraph:

For pilots flying on a UK national licence, including the NPPL(A), flight experience amassed in microlight aircraft with three axis flight controls can be counted towards the flying experience requirements necessary to maintain the SEP and SSEA Class Ratings.
By Dave W
@Marvin, yes - that is already in the Table (for "UK National licences" using the terminology of the time); see Note 8.

It's the apparent similar change of rules for (ex-)EASA licences for which I was failing to find a definitive statement.

That page you link to does also say (under "EASA licence holders"):
CAA wrote:However, pilots are reminded that any experience amassed in microlight aircraft cannot be counted towards the flying experience requirements necessary to maintain the SEP Class Rating endorsed in an EASA licence or the SEP privileges endorsed in an EASA LAPL(A).

I don't think it is now moot despite "EASA FCL" licences now becoming "UK CAA FCL" licences, because those licences are subject to the same law for at least the next 2 years (AIUI) having been transferred wholesale into UK law. :(

In other words, ex-EASA licences are not "UK National Licences" as meant pre 1 Jan 2021.

Complicated this stuff, ain't it? :(
Marvin liked this