Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I did post this on the LAA forum a few days ago but no answer as yet, so I thought I'd ask here too.

I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience under the new post EASA rules of renewing what was formerly an EASA permit to fly issued by the LAA.

My Bolkow Junior is due for permit renewal in July, and if anyone been through this procedure already I would be grateful for any pointers.
patowalker liked this
My understanding is that the CAA remains the issuer of the former EASA ptf and that the procedure is the same as before. EASA ptf aircraft are now Part 21 aircraft. I think it will be easier to get a desk inspection done, rather than the surveyor visit, after Covid and Brexit. I assume the existing EASA flight conditions and data sheet will continue to be the basis on which the permit is issued for a year or two before the CAA produces its own form, or makes some other regulatory arrangement. Our permit was issued in December so I don't have first-hand experience as yet.
Dodo liked this
This was LAA reply to my enquiry of the same:-

This email is to let you know that with the impending finish of the Brexit transition period, the CAA have issued a general permission ORS4 number 1457 which allows G-registered aircraft such as your GY80 Horizon that operate on the basis of an EASA Permit to Fly to continue to operate within UK airspace until the end of 2022 despite the UK having withdrawn from EASA participation. We will let you know in due course whether there are any changes required to the arrangements for revalidating the Permit when it falls due when your ‘annual’ comes up in the next 12 months, or whether this can take place in the normal way. We will also inform you of any changes to the procedures for approval of modifications and repairs, operation or maintenance.

The situation with regard to flying outside of UK airspace with a G-registered EASA Permit aircraft is not yet clear, the arrangements covering mutual acceptance of G- registered aircraft with a full ICAO CofA does not extend to Permit to Fly aircraft. Following the release of the details of the 1800 page Brexit deal document on Christmas Eve we are in discussion with CAA about this issue and have already received positive feedback from the DGAC about overflight of French airspace.

The general permission is a temporary measure to allow an efficient and unhurried transition to whatever permanent arrangements are put in place. LAA will continue to work with the CAA to ensure a satisfactory long term outcome.

A copy of the CAA ORS4 number 1457 can be found here: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1457.pdf Before the next flight after 1st January 2021, it’s important that you read this document and only fly the aircraft if it has a copy of the document on board, as well as, of course, the aircraft’s EASA Permit to Fly being valid and having a current Certificate of Validity. The CAA general permission must be used in conjunction with a valid EASA Permit to Fly, it does not replace it.
Dodo liked this
@CloudHound - That's great news, and hinted at during Thursday's Flyer livestream via Steve Slater/LAA, IIRC.

Do you have a reference for it, or an indication when a definitive announcement (and perhaps French law wording change) might be made?
This is interesting:

My Bolkow Junior is due for permit renewal

In Thailand we had to apply for a full CxA for the Bolkow Junior when it was discovered to be a certified aeroplane.
I had to go into the CAAT office, fill out a form, and apply for a Thai Type Certificate for it.
It had mistakenly been put on the Experimental certification.
I downloaded and supplied the Thai CAAT with copies of the Maintenance Manual and the EASA Type Certificate data sheet.

This Bolkow suffered an engine failure after takeoff...
Even here, as the climate warms, we need to ensure all holes are covered to prevent insects blocking them, especially fuel tank vents!

Dodo liked this