Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Marvin
@patowalker you are indeed correct however, the Ofcom letter and website assume a level of knowledge that I think is perhaps challenging the average pilot.

There needs to be guidance as to how to apply the right values in the Ofcom calculator and most people would look for help through either:

Manufacture Specification/Maintenance Organisation/Aviation Body such as AOPA or LAA etc/CAA or their own technical knowledge.

There is a distinct lack of clarity from some of those sources and in at least one case, admission they don't understand and have asked Ofcom for explanation.

I have received feedback that there has been little if any consultation with the aviation bodies, unless someone knows otherwise, and that the Marine Side has had some consultation.

The letter that is sent out says that Ofcom are expecting feedback from the recipient before the 18th April 2021, perhaps suitable worded feedback would identify the fact that the pilot community is struggling with this further level of bureaucracy.

For my own Trig Transponder I get a safe distance of 0.33m using the assumed duty cycle of the transponder. For the average VHF transmitter in a GA aircraft you would probable lose enough of the 10 watts in the cable/connectors to be below the 10Watt threshold and then the duty cycle is how long is the transmission in any 6 minute period. Unless you have a penchant for life stories of course.
By NigelC
How about the radio installation in G-XXXX comprises equipment approved for the purpose by the CAA and EASA ,installed by an approved organisation in accordance with manufacturers instructions and CAA avionic installation standards, the details filed with the CAA, from whom you presumably got your information, and therefore is compliant.
Rob P, peter272 liked this
By kanga
I wonder if any G-reg aircraft trail a long (eg quarter wave) HF, let alone VLF, antenna these days .. :) ..

[..and does the CAA still administer a 'Flight Radio Operator' exam, allowing analogue tuning of HF transceivers and antennae in flight ?

I wonder when and which was the last G- reg (DC-7/Constellation era ?) or British civil operational type (Hermes ?) which provided separate RO and Nav crew stations]
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think that we could simply keep a record that says:

"The duty cycle of all radio transmitting equipment in this aircraft is such that the safe distance from the antenna is less than 0.5m in all cases."
By Mick Elborn
It would seem that the CAA were somewhat blindsided by this.

I think most, if not all, of the Associations see this as largely a non-event for GA that will not be an issue for non-technical licence holders, but are looking to the CAA to provide guidance on acceptable means of compliance - as the RYA and Ofcom propose for the small boat owners. I understand that the CAA have taken this up, but pending this guidance the Associations will understandably not give detailed advice on mattters such as duty cylces/average usage, passenger liability and screening for aircraft occupants.

For Transponders, there is a 2007 study by the Health Protection Agency, funded by the CAA, for Exposure to EMFs from Lightweight Aviation Transponders.

For those worried about radiating their lower regions, if the 0.55% duty cycle in the report applies to 240 w Transponders, then following Ofcom Guidance and using the Ofcom EMF Calculator:

0.55% of 240 w = 1.32 w ERP
1.32 * 1.64 = 2.1648 w EIRP
2.1648 w EIRP and 1090 MHz gives a separation distance of 0.28 m (28 cm)
By Mick Elborn
Ofcom don't seem to have got their records straight at all for aeronautical radio licences since taking it over from the CAA. Some don't even seem to get a reminder then get told their licence is about to be cancelled.

I did get a reminder middle of last year, paid through their portal and got payment confirmation, no new licence appeared but 3 months later got the licence will be cancelled letter. It took a phone call to sort it!

@TLRippon I would give them a nudge.

Obviously no-one in Ofcom involved with the EMF "consultation" thought it was strange not to get any response from the Aviation sector.
Last edited by Mick Elborn on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Spooky
Mick Elborn wrote:Ofcom don't seem to have got their records straight at all for aeronautical radio licences since taking it over from the CAA. Some don't even seem to get a reminder then get told their licence is about to be cancelled.

I did get a reminder middle of last year, paid though their portal and got payment confirmation, no new licence appeared but 3 months later got the licence will be cancelled letter. It took a phone call to sort it!

@TLRippon I would give them a nudge.

Obviously no-one in Ofcom involved with the EMF "consultation" thought it was strange not to get any response from the Aviation sector.

I had the same letter regarding cancellation of my licence despite having paid for it three months previously. Sorted quickly but a pain in the **** when I had other more pressing issues to sort out :roll:
By Sooty25
Has anybody stopped and wondered who is going to enforce this, considering the number of radios, not just aviation, this covers?
By kanga
Sooty25 wrote:..considering the number of radios, not just aviation, this covers?

including every gizmo on our domestic WiFi network, our garage door openers, .. which are not and need not be declared to nor licensed by OfCom, but they do emit in the EM spectrum :?
johnm liked this
By Marvin
The microwave oven is the most likely risk in the domestic environment although they are well insulated and must set stringent standards.

Just imaging the installation instructions for aviation installs that would need updating to take any perceived issue into account.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The more I read on this topic the more it looks like a hurricane in an espresso cup, I have a definite gold plate feeling....
By Rob P
They have arrived. :D

Only twenty quid a pair on ebay. Bargain!

Rob P

patowalker liked this