Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:
Here you go, it’s already been done:

Important Pilot Advisory Note Regarding Safety of Radio Frequency Energy
Safe use of this device requires care as to the placement of the antenna. Place the antenna at least 4cm away from any part of your body or that of other cabin occupants. To stop all RF emissions, remove power from the equipment or configure the equipment for receive mode only. Retain these instructions with your maintenance logs/files and for future reference.

Thanks, I've now printed out that page from the manual and will put it with the radio licence.
gaznav liked this
By RayP
I'm still not clear what I have to do.
The guidance says I don't need to do anything but the flowchart says "Keep a record of your average power with your licence document"
Which is it?
By TopCat
Right, my radio licence is up for renewal on 30th June. I haven't had a reminder yet, so rather than leaving everything to the last possible moment which is my usual plan, I thought I'd get my ars in gear with a few days to spare.

Is it just* a question of filling in this form, including the existing licence and customer numbers and emailing it to them at the specified address?

Can I sort out the emission stuff separately? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the form.

____
* I know, I used the word 'just'. That's why I suspect it's more complicated than I imagine.
By Muzzlehatch
No, just did that and it confuses them because it's for a new licence and you already have one, it then gets stuck in the system.

They are in a mess with reminders, some are going out ok, some not

Phone them and they will give you the renewal numbers you need to pay by the portal.
By Aerials
Is it just* a question of filling in this form? I don't think it is. The form is used to "You may use this form to apply, amend or surrender one of the following aircraft licences", whereas you are adding a bit of paper to your licence describing the precautions you are taking to prevent anyone other than yourself from coming to harm (I'd say!).
Have a look here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/emf
By Peter Gristwood
Muzzlehatch wrote:No, just did that and it confuses them because it's for a new licence and you already have one, it then gets stuck in the system.

They are in a mess with reminders, some are going out ok, some not

Phone them and they will give you the renewal numbers you need to pay by the portal.

Did that - helpful people. Just waiting on a paper copy for the file...
By TopCat
Muzzlehatch wrote:Phone them and they will give you the renewal numbers you need to pay by the portal.

Thanks for this - I phoned them, and it turned out that as I needed to change the Licensee Name, which apparently can't be edited on an existing licence, filling in the form was the right thing to do.

However they also wanted the old licence number in the covering email so they could cancel it as well as issue the new one.

Hopefully they'll be able to do it in time. The very helpful person I spoke to (who sounded as if she knew exactly what needed to be done, although proof of the pudding and all that) suggested that it would, and if I hadn't heard by Friday, call again and they'd expedite! Fingers crossed, anyway.

This 'doing things before the deadline' does reduce the stress and panic levels, I should probably try it more often.
By condor17
Red , so long as you don't use the radio , ....... you'll be fine .. :wink:
Ours ran out due no reminder which our paperwork guru was expecting , a la' previous years ..
It's ''in the post'' now , but a month late ... And our whispering on the radio seems to have worked .

rgds condor .
By TopCat
Red wrote:I wonder if anyone actually knows????

I was about to post that it would be amazing if there was enough interconnect for expired radio licences to get notified to the CAA, which would then send the boys round to give the aircraft owner a seeing to.

But then I thought that in the current 'just culture', actually it might be exactly the sort of thing they would get organised, in preference to sorting out all the other issues.

I hope I'm wrong...
By Red
I don't think a radio used in a purely recreational airframe should have to be licenced.
Licence the operator yes, the Radio installation already has to pass muster and be approved by LAAA/BMAA/CAA, that should be the end of it, Licencing an installation has no value whatsoever.
By Rob L
Having not received an invoice for my up-and-coming-2-days-away radio licence renewal, I went to the CAA/Ofcom website to pay , but their Payment Portal requires a customer reference number and an invoice number.

Not having received either by post (I always used to get one in the post), and on the advice of previous posters, I phoned Ofcom (Telephone: 020 7981 3131) and was very quickly answered; I explained my situation; gave my previous licence number; confirmed my address and within 60 seconds I was given my customer ref and invoice number.

Another 60 seconds later I'd paid the amount and received email confirmation thereof :thumleft:

Very pleasant people to deal with on the phone; thumbs up to Ofcom :D I guess it's a pity that that the written/emailed reminders don't get sent out in time/at all, but I don't know why that doesn't happen.

In conclusion, and it's been said up there before ^^^^^^^
check your CAA/Ofcom licences yourself. If in doubt, phone Ofcom on the above number.