Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On the Flyer Online broadcast on Thursday, the Boss mentioned that the CAA had changed the rules to allow SkyEcho 2 to output SDA 1, which means that it will be interrogated / read by all the commercial aircraft that receive ADSB. (Up till now, SE 2 had to transmit SDA 0, which is ignored by all the commercial aircraf5 ADSB receivers.

However I’ve been unable to find this update on the CAA website.
Did I mishear, or was he describing something that will happen in the future?
Eg, can I set SDA =1 next time I use my SE2?
By ls8pilot
Lefty wrote:On the Flyer Online broadcast on Thursday, the Boss mentioned that the CAA had changed the rules to allow SkyEcho 2 to output SDA 1, which means that it will be interrogated / read by all the commercial aircraft that receive ADSB. (Up till now, SE 2 had to transmit SDA 0, which is ignored by all the commercial aircraf5 ADSB receivers.

Yes you can, permission is contained in an update to CAP1391 https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=7275
By Charley Farley
Miscellaneous - Thank you, but the instructions don't mention SDA0 or SDA1 as far as I can see. Here's the manual:
https://uavionix.com/downloads/skyecho/ ... -Guide.pdf
The initial set up starts on page 18 and doesn't appear to include options for SDA settings.

Smaragb - Thank you. I will check for software / firmware updates when next at the airfield and can my hands on the SkyEcho.
By Kemble Pitts
Lefty wrote:On the Flyer Online broadcast on Thursday, the Boss mentioned that the CAA had changed the rules to allow SkyEcho 2 to output SDA 1, which means that it will be interrogated / read by all the commercial aircraft that receive ADSB. (Up till now, SE 2 had to transmit SDA 0, which is ignored by all the commercial aircraf5 ADSB receivers.

If this is true then it is good news, for sure.

However, in none of the links posted can I find anything that says SE2 can now be re-set to SDA=1. If it's there and I've missed it can somebody point me at the exact text please. :D
By xtophe
Kemble Pitts wrote:However, in none of the links posted can I find anything that says SE2 can now be re-set to SDA=1. If it's there and I've missed it can somebody point me at the exact text please. :D

Section 5.3 of Sky Echo 2 manual says the GPS meets TSO-C199
Internet or CAP1391, para 6.13 tells that TSO-C199 is the spec defining Traffic Awareness Beacon Systems (TABS)
Table 4 of CAP1391 (issue 3) tells that for TABS GPS SDA =1 can be used.