Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MikeB wrote:If I was dealing with a Super Gasoline off spec on octane content, the quickest and cheapest option was often simply to downgrade it to regular 95 as it invariably met spec.

That might explain why the odd tank of petrol used to give me more power and better mpg! :D I had the thought that they might have used the higher octane in the standard tanks occasionally due to sell by dates or availability or something.
MikeB liked this
By Forfoxake
Private Jet wrote:
Volare wrote:I see that Esso have recently introduced Synergy Supreme+ 99 which, according to their web site, is ethanol free 99 octane fuel. https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Has anyone found any evidence that Synergy Supreme+ 99 conforms to BS EN 228, please? My inspector reckons that it doesn’t and has suggested that I will need to use UL91. As the nearest source is 60 miles away and our airfield has prohibitions on storage of any volume, being able to keep using locally sourced Mogas could be the difference between keeping flying and having to give up.

Just to clarify for those who have just joined this thread recently, the Esso website states about Synergy Supreme+ 99:

"Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland)."

So it's still UL91 for me in Central Scotland. However, Miscellaneous and others have demonstrated that even regular unleaded still contains no ethanol in parts of the North and North West of Scotland (presumably because it comes by boat straight from Immingham, rather than being supplied from Grangemouth).
Forfoxake wrote:...Miscellaneous and others have demonstrated that even regular unleaded still contains no ethanol in parts of the North and North West of Scotland (presumably because it comes by boat straight from Immingham, rather than being supplied from Grangemouth).

I don't check every purchase, however pleased to say yesterday's 60ltrs of standard unleaded is still ethanol free. :thumright:
CloudHound wrote:What did you pump into? 3x 20 lit Jerry cans?

Indeed, I used to draw from the furthest from direct sight pump, leaving the car door open to obscure the view. However as time has gone on I have become braver by filling the car at the same time. So far I have not been brave enough to only pay for either the petrol or diesel, when asked. :wink: So they clearly know one of the purchases is not going in the car. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate? :think:

By Forfoxake
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:there doesn't seem to be a limit on how many I can consume at any one time. :shock: :oops:

Do they even bother with a "Best before" date?

Miscellaneous wrote:From ethanol ... to Maltesers. :lol:

I don't think whisky and Maltesers is a great combination, though I'm happy to give it a go.

It's not often you are right, but you are wrong again :)

From The Three Drinkers website:

"Maltesers truffles are a guilty secret for all The Three Drinkers, and so is the whisky which goes with them extremely well. Old Pulteney 12 year old has a salinity that counterbalances all that lovely honeycomb. With lots of complexity, it keeps the palate clean, lively and ready to take on more chocolate!"