Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TLRippon wrote:I wonder if the bemused approach controller at Glasgow will still give you the third degree to make sure you actually want to go to Glasgow and not Cumbernauld. I often get the impression that up until now they were thinking, “ If this guy is stupid enough to fly in here, how did he manage to pass a skills test”.

I was flying past Glasgow Airport just before the current lockdown and someone was doing their first solo there - there has been GA there for a long time but you needed to be in the "club" and the schools used to do all their circuit practice elsewhere.

@kanga - the M8 is a bit busy now to land on! The M8 runs alongside where the runway was:
ImageTimewarp - Renfrew Airport pt3 by beqi, on Flickr
kanga liked this
By TLRippon
Having played on the old runway as a kid and later in the disused terminal, I can assure you that the M8 did not run along the path of the old runway. Parts of the M8 intersected the taxiway but the runway was north of the motorway and contrary to the comment on Flickr, that section of the M8 did not open 20 years before 1988 when the map was depicted. I would have been one then and certainly wasn’t playing football on the building site next to the motorway construction at Renfrew airport aged 1.
By riverrock
@TLRippon - the "Renfrew Bypass" section opened on 18th March 1968 ( ref)
I suspect that there was a lot of construction then - and as said, the runway ran parallel to the motorway so there may well have been sections left after the motorway was constructed? There was also the cross runway.
All one or two years (decades) before my time!
By kanga
Better go to Croydon or Nutt's Corner or Whitchurch or .. instead, then :)

A stretch of M5 South of Gloucester used material from the runway at Gloster's former Moreton Valence airfield, over and at one point along which it passes.
By TLRippon
riverrock wrote:@TLRippon - the "Renfrew Bypass" section opened on 18th March 1968 ( ref)
I suspect that there was a lot of construction then - and as said, the runway ran parallel to the motorway so there may well have been sections left after the motorway was constructed? There was also the cross runway.
All one or two years (decades) before my time!

I think there was a difference between what they are calling contract completed and the road actually being fully open. I’m not just relying on my memory, I have pictures of the runway running about 20 yards to the north of the construction of the gulley of the motorway. Must have been about 72/3. I attended my Nan’s funeral at Arkleston Cemetery which was across from the by then disused old airport in 73 and I remember my mum saying it was going to be a bloody noisy place to be buried when that motorway opens. I have a vivid memory of the big scathe through Hillinton and alongside Inchinnan road. I know that section opened years later. My thought is that one side of the Renfrew bypass linking the new viaduct over the Cart may have opened to two way traffic while the other side was finished. It’s how they do it nowadays ref the A14 upgrade. My Aunt had a house built on what was the old outfield of the airport and Tesco put up a very short lived non food only superstore on the site of the old terminal.
By Forfoxake
As a Renfrew resident for much of my life. I am pretty sure that the section of the M8 opened in 1968 largely followed the path of the main runway of Renfrew Airport. There was certainly no sign of the main runway when I took a photo from the footbridge over the M8 of the main apron, 1954 terminal building and the hangars in the 70s. In any event, the wonderful 1954 terminal building demolished in 1978 was eventually replaced by a Tesco Supermarket which is still open.

Returning to the main theme of the thread, despite having flown for over 30 years mainly in the West of Scotland, I have never landed a light aircraft at Glasgow Airport (unless you count Prestwick!!). Compared to normal, £40 including two hours parking at the Flying Club seems like a bargain. So I might be tempted if this deal continues for sometime after leisure flying is allowed again in Scotland.
By riverrock
Me too - I can just about see the airport from my house, have worked round the corner from it for 13 years, been on plenty of CAT in and out and have taken the tower tour but never landed myself. I'll be taking the opportunity. I wonder when the last time they had tail wheel aircraft land...
Forfoxake liked this
By TLRippon
I went into Glasgow a couple of times with Signature and although friendly the costs were hard to accept. I hope this move doesn’t see Cumbernauld suffering it has been a great location for travel to Glasgow. I’ll still use them when I’m not under time pressure to be in Glasgow.
By kanga
riverrock wrote:... I wonder when the last time they had tail wheel aircraft land...

<nostalgia :oops: >

I can recall a Lancaster landing there in 1967 :) It was the Canadian one just ferried across, going to the Strathallan collection IIRC. And Loganair had a Beech 18 at the time, too ..

</>
By Forfoxake
WelshRichy wrote:https://glasgowflightcentre.com/

For an SEP you're looking at £39.95 not £50.

Excellent news for people wishing to visit Glasgow, looking forward to flying into Glasgow when we're released from lockdown.

Visited today in my Kitfox and stayed less than 2 hours but it still cost me £50.

Probably still worth it as a one off and Heather at reception was very friendly and gave me a free coffee!

Air Traffic were fine though they did get me to file a VFR flight plan prior to departing and were a little bemused when I asked to use virtually the whole runway for take-off!
By Dave W
This uncertainty and lack of clarity on pricing is a prevailing issue and is so unnecessary if the airports involved truly desire fair custom.

I see a similar problem is becoming one to be addressed even in the USA: "Know Before You Go"
By Forfoxake
riverrock wrote:What did they say the extra £10 was for?

Not sure. Maybe because I did not need any fuel.

However, to be fair, I was told when I phoned before I left from Straven.
By skydriller
The website says £39.95 landing fee.
Then 20 quid a day parking... so...

Or are thise prices not including VAT? In which case why doesnt it say so on the website? The fuel price says £1.45 plus VAT, none of the other prices do giving the impression of being the total inclusive price.

This is one of those things that just grates, even though its never going to affect me as the chances of me ever flying into Glasgow are pretty slim...

I particularly like this bit from the president of AOPA : “Imagine flying on an airline and not being able to find out how much you’ll pay until you land. It just doesn’t make sense.”

Regards, SD..