Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A thought strikes, having learned from other places in the past:

Is there mandatory handling and an associated charge?

The current Pooley's plate says:

Pooleys wrote:All operators must make prior arrangements with a handling agent for ground handling. Handling for GA aircraft is provided by Signature...

The Signature webpage for Glasgow doesn't inform about their charges.
By 602fan
Cumbernauld fuel currently 11p/litre cheaper. Landing fee £15 for a SEP there.
Cumbernauld cafe has been closed for a while now - not Covid-related.
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:Is there mandatory handling and an associated charge?

No.

As I understand it, the landing and parking fees imposed by the airport haven't changed. What has changed is that the handling fee has been dropped.

Edit: From the Facebook GA group:

Allan of the Glasgow Flight Centre has been working hard throughout the pandemic and liaising with AGS in Scotland for GA to get better access to Glasgow Airport and remove the ridiculous handling fees that Signature were charging small GA planes (£300+). As someone who uses Glasgow a lot to visit my daughter this is been music to my ears.

You can now fly into Glasgow using all their big airport facilities but for a smaller airport price, using Glasgow Flight Centre as your "handling agent" as handling is compulsory at larger airports.

Handling via GFC is FREE, SEP landing fee £39.95 and parking £19.95 a day.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W liked this
By flybymike
Dave W wrote:A thought strikes, having learned from other places in the past:

Is there mandatory handling and an associated charge?

The current Pooley's plate says:

Pooleys wrote:All operators must make prior arrangements with a handling agent for ground handling. Handling for GA aircraft is provided by Signature...

The Signature webpage for Glasgow doesn't inform about their charges.

Taken from Facebook.

Allan of the Glasgow Flight Centre has been working hard throughout the pandemic and liaising with AGS in Scotland for GA to get better access to Glasgow Airport and remove the ridiculous handling fees that Signature were charging small GA planes (£300+). As someone who uses Glasgow a lot to visit my daughter this is been music to my ears.

You can now fly into Glasgow using all their big airport facilities but for a smaller airport price, using Glasgow Flight Centre as your "handling agent" as handling is compulsory at larger airports.

Handling via GFC is FREE, SEP landing fee £39.95 and parking £19.95 a day. Excellent value for what is offered there.

more details can be found on the GFC website here:-
https://glasgowflightcentre.com/

Well done Allan for all your hard work.
Dave W liked this
By riverrock
Dave W wrote:
WelshRichy wrote:I'll check but I'm sure it includes a couple of hours ...

Thanks for checking. Ideally the website would clarify that.

Allen said back in January that there was no free parking with a landing fee, but "watch this space".
Would be good if this was clarified.
£60 to get it in the log book isn't great.
By Flyingfemme
In that case, it’s excellent news. ISTR, from an airline flight in, that there is a bus outside the terminal, to the city centre. Takes about 20 mins.
By TLRippon
There are very few places in the UK where for that kind of money you can fly your aircraft in and depart out on an airliner or fly in to collect a traveller. It is a half hour shorter flight to Glasgow for me than to drive to Heathrow. It’s a good alternative for when visiting the relatives in Canada/USA. Incidentally it takes precisely three hours more door to door to visit my relatives in Glasgow via Heathrow than to fly myself from Leicester. I’ve been flying to Cumbernauld for years and it’s still a good alternative but with the local car hire place closing down it’s a taxi ride into Glasgow anyway to hire a car so you may as well go there.
By TLRippon
I wonder if the bemused approach controller at Glasgow will still give you the third degree to make sure you actually want to go to Glasgow and not Cumbernauld. I often get the impression that up until now they were thinking, “ If this guy is stupid enough to fly in here, how did he manage to pass a skills test”.
By riverrock
riverrock wrote:
Dave W wrote:
WelshRichy wrote:I'll check but I'm sure it includes a couple of hours ...

Thanks for checking. Ideally the website would clarify that.

Allen said back in January that there was no free parking with a landing fee, but "watch this space".
Would be good if this was clarified.
£60 to get it in the log book isn't great.

Allan has now confirmed - first 2 hours free :thumleft:
Dave W, PeteSpencer, flybymike and 4 others liked this
By kanga
TLRippon wrote:I wonder if the bemused approach controller at Glasgow will still give you the third degree to make sure you actually want to go to Glasgow and not Cumbernauld. ..

You could really worry the ATCO by mentioning Renfrew .. :)

[for youngsters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renfrew_Airport ]
By jaycee46
Flyingfemme wrote:In that case, it’s excellent news. ISTR, from an airline flight in, that there is a bus outside the terminal, to the city centre. Takes about 20 mins.

The flight centre is on the opposite side of the runway from the terminal building. Not sure what public transport is available, but would hazard a guess , none. I’m sure Allan will arrange a taxi or ‘persuade’ a helpful member to drop you off at the 2 quid terminal building drop off!
He’s worked bloody hard to make this happen, so I hope it is a success, and the naysayers are proved wrong.
flybymike, kanga liked this
By Flyingfemme
I assumed that - used to use Signature, back in the day, for ferry flights. Till they got silly expensive and we decamped to Prestwick.