Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

I need to fly with an instructor for rating revalidation purposes, before the end of:

February
1%
March
7%
April
8%
May
8%
June
9%
July, or beyond
67%
@ak7274
But they would have UK licences or they have nothing to put a reval examiner certificate in, hence my phrasing! Also I think they cannot do fcl reval signatures, reval for national non fcl only up to leaving easa, presumably :?: nothing has changed yet....
Ps: at time of posting, your quote limits are screwed
oldbiggincfi wrote:Interested in how many FE's have managed to remain current ?
I will need renewal and suspect not the only one .

Apparently the FIEs who have SOLI'D can no longer do UK FE assessments, so unless they come back, there will be a growing shortage of FEs.
I need to spend some time studying EASA and CAA air regulations.
For the most part Airspace and Flight Rules are straight forward, but the ins and outs of licensing and paperwork seem to be a lot more complicated.
Perhaps when we’re allowed to live again I’ll ask Irv for some of his time. I don’t mind paying.

If I survive this lockdown, then perhaps I will do a CRI course... I’ll need to learn the paperwork which seems to be much more complicated than the Transport Canada equivalents.
I wouldn’t mind recommendations for CRI courses PM’d to me here. If doing a CRI course is possible now during lockdown it might be something to do.
Happy to help anyone around Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire surrounding area who needs an FI or FE

I understand there is no intention of any further extensions - the view is that the lack of flying continuity and previous extensions mean a proficiency check is appropriate.

I have heard from more than a few FI and FE that they are taking this break as the point to retire and not renew.
VFRBimbler wrote:Sadly, I believe a fair few pilots will do the same and retire from flying too.

My Canadian Instructor Rating is due for renewal 1st April. Since travel is not possible I suppose that’s the end of that.
Perhaps a CRI course is the way forward for me, or perhaps it’s time to stop.
G-BLEW wrote:…after a year or so without regular flying due to various lockdowns and weather, we were wondering how much of a surge in demand there will be for the instructor hour. The (very much) indicative result might be interesting and encourage some kind of phased extension etc.. Or not.

Ian

Unless my maths/understanding is wrong, I think this would likely only affect a small % of pilots anyway, all being equal, much less in practice.

In total, there has only been a few full months of 'proper' lockdown in the past year. So, (3/24) suggests it's not going to be a huge problem for revalidation purposes, unless you were coming up to the end of your 24 hour window. Most people have still had 9 months out of 12 to get their instructor hour in. The most recent lockdown has occurred during a very wet and windy winter where flying hours are likely to be reduced anyway.

I expect more of an issue will be pressure on instructor time for continuation of private training, or (for clubs) a check flight to enable renting again for renters. Some students presumably also need to pass their GST to avoid written exams lapsing?
Irv Lee wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:Interested in how many FE's have managed to remain current ?
I will need renewal and suspect not the only one .

Apparently the FIEs who have SOLI'D can no longer do UK FE assessments, so unless they come back, there will be a growing shortage of FEs.

I believe they can get authorisation by letter from the CAA to continue?
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks @Irv Lee I wasn't aware it could be done in month one of the second year. I was hoping there had been couple of months extension granted. Oh well.

I'm in my first year of validity having received my renewal signature from my instructor

@WelshRichy is my memory failing more than I realise? Is an examiner's signature not required? :?

Been busy at work and have only just seen this thread has moved on a little. As @Irv Lee says anytime within the twelve months. Luckily his ATPL is still with the UK CAA and has FCL.945 in his licence. :D
Miscellaneous liked this
Well, PPL is one thing but I'm looking forward to checking the logbooks of the many LAPL holders who are coming back after very little flying in the previous year and may have run off the end of their two year rolling currency. I'm looking forward to a bonanza month in May.

Are there really that many instructors in the GA flying club sector who SOLI'd? Perhaps the part time airline pilots but how many non commercial?
It is a bit of a 'bigger's muddle' isn't it.

If any Gloucestershire/Cotswold pilots need an FI/FCL.945 input (once we're all allowed out of the looney bin) then please drop me a PM and we can look to work something out.

From my reading of Johnson's pronouncements yesterday, and remembering that flying training appeared to be 'set free' last time at the same point as hairdressers, I reckon flying training can start again on 12 April.
Miscellaneous wrote:@WelshRichy thanks. Lucky you. :thumright:

Just thinking this through. If I recall a failure to get the signature of an examiner, even if everything else is done, by the deadline results in the need for an LPC. Is the correct? :(

Yes I'm afraid it does. Even if you miss getting the signature by a day. Proficiency Check territory then.