Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

I need to fly with an instructor for rating revalidation purposes, before the end of:

February
1%
March
7%
April
8%
May
8%
June
8%
July, or beyond
68%
Miscellaneous wrote:
WelshRichy wrote:I'm in my first year of validity having received my renewal signature from my instructor

@WelshRichy is my memory failing more than I realise? Is an examiner's signature not required? :?

Agreeing with you Misc - I thought that an instructor could only sign if they had just flown an hour with you (that hour might be in multiple sorties) - otherwise it had to be an examiner, because instructors apparently can't look back / count (and there was the odd instructor who, if they didn't like how you flew, would fly with you for 59 minutes and get you to fly at least 1 minute longer with someone else, requiring an examiner to sign you off).
Miscellaneous wrote:
riverrock wrote:Not an issue for me as my Father-in-law is an instructor.

Has he been staying current in the Jodel in the last 30 days? :wink: :D

Of course, instructors are special.
And the other aircraft.

And actually - the stay at home rules in Scotland allow you to travel within your local authority (+5 miles) for exercise, so as long as you don't have fun, be near more than 1 other adult, or land away, there is nothing stopping you going flying anyway. Unfortunately, I'm too far away from Prestwick to really justify that. :cry:
riverrock wrote:And actually - the stay at home rules in Scotland allow you to travel within your local authority (+5 miles) for exercise, so as long as you don't have fun, be near more than 1 other adult, or land away, there is nothing stopping you going flying anyway.

Think it's probably best not to go down that rabbit hole in this thread. :wink:
riverrock liked this
Miscellaneous wrote: is my memory failing more than I realise? Is an examiner's signature not required? :?

Fcl.945 instructor, if they completed the training hour.
The possible new problem now with signatures will be SOLI. Both 945 instructors and examiners who dont have UK licences cannot sign reval by experience in UK licences
ak7274, flybymike liked this
I’m with Charles Hunt on this one i.e confused :?:

I was due to do a 1 hour flight with my CRI on Thursday 20th Aug 2020, two years to the day I’d last flown with him. Unfortunately Richard was killed in his Rans a few days beforehand. I last flew 7th Oct with bags of hours/take offs in hand.

I’ve lost track of extensions for my class of rating (poo brown PPL SEP) under ORS4 so planned to book some tailwheel time at Cubair to get back into things
I’ll probably need a proficiency check with an examiner; my SEP rating expires in July, and I think it’ll be unlikely I manage to get the remainder of the required 12 hours in between whenever we can fly again and the expiry date.

To be honest, it’s not a bad thing, I know I’ll be rusty after so little flying so I guess I’ll embrace it and make the most from it.

Mark
My SEP rating expires on 31st March and from what I can see there is no chance of being able to revalidate it . I have done 8 hrs 35 mins P1 so I need approx 3.5 hrs including an hour with an instructor . I am aware of the ORS which advises you can revalidate with less hours if you have more take off and landings however this is of no use to me as I have only done 9 t/off and landings. I generally fly for an hour each outing with 1 landing and take off so if I had done more landings then I would have enough hours. In any case this is academic as it does not look likely that I will get to fly with an instructor until after my SEP has expired. My home airfield Stapleford has just announced that they are taking PPL training bookings from the the 12th April. It would be extremely handy if there was some kind of extension :D
flybymike liked this
In all this mess it does seem to be the case that the documents issued by CAA , cover off nicely the case where a Pilot has not flown the required number of hours in the second year to revalidate his PPL. (LAPL is different case).

They produce a table showing that if you have less than the 12 hrs you simply fly extra time with an instructor. Simple you would think and classic ivory tower thinking.

What has been completely overlooked is that the DfT guidance does NOT say anything about how you are able to get any flying time with an instructor, unless it is deemed a professional flight.

Given that we have been put in a category of non professionals, there have been limited opportunities since last March of flying with instructors. So by this March there is a strong likelyhood of around half of the PPL(A) Pilot population requiring one or more hours with an instructor plus the LAPL licence holders who want to restart their flying.

Fortunately there are some instructor/examiners who have taken a realistic view and are happy to combine a one hour engine health flight with a pilot needing an instructor flight, but this may be a rarity !
CloudHound wrote:I’ve lost track of extensions for my class of rating (poo brown PPL SEP) under ORS4 so planned to book some tailwheel time at Cubair to get back into things

the SEP rating expiry date is the expiry date, there are no extension now on that, so if still in date, for reval by experience, the training component hour (and the rest) has to be sometime/anytime in the final 12 months up to that expiry and the SEP reval itself done by that expiry date.
Irv Lee wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote: is my memory failing more than I realise? Is an examiner's signature not required? :?

Fcl.945 instructor, if they completed the training hour.
The possible new problem now with signatures will be SOLI. Both 945 instructors and examiners who dont have UK licences cannot sign reval by experience in UK licences[/quote

Being pedantic, I believe an instructor can sign off a pilots revalidation by experience without conducting the flight if he/she is the holder of a CAA 'R' Examiner authorisation, as held by all LAA pilot coaches, which is renewed annually?