Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

I need to fly with an instructor for rating revalidation purposes, before the end of:

February
1%
March
7%
April
8%
May
8%
June
8%
July, or beyond
68%
FLYER Jonny wrote:Yes for licence renewal. Titles have been tweaked to make clear.

I very much doubt you mean that. Dont you mean for "rating revalidation by experience"? Or possibly that AND lapl validity? But definitely the former.
FLYER Jonny liked this
…after a year or so without regular flying due to various lockdowns and weather, we were wondering how much of a surge in demand there will be for the instructor hour. The (very much) indicative result might be interesting and encourage some kind of phased extension etc.. Or not.

Ian
Miscellaneous wrote:2yrs, 2 months? :?

What am I not immediately understanding? :D

Could be 2 years 11 months. You can revalidate in month 13 of 24 and get 35 months from signature month.
The question of what the purpose of it relevant, as RATING holders need a prof check test if they fail to revalidate whereas lapl holders don't necessarily need one if they slip out of validity- so if the basis is about how many will need a prof check, which may mean some give up (in my opinion), it is useful to know
I'm in my first year of validity having received my renewal signature from my instructor over coffee at a popular eatery local to us a few days before my extended rating expired on 22/11/20. We had flown together in August as part of my checkout on my new group aeroplane (Archer). Had another option from a couple of checkouts (with lockdown in between) on the clubs Robin which also qualified as my instructional hours. Nice to have options. :D
Thanks @Irv Lee I wasn't aware it could be done in month one of the second year. I was hoping there had been couple of months extension granted. Oh well.

I'm in my first year of validity having received my renewal signature from my instructor

@WelshRichy is my memory failing more than I realise? Is an examiner's signature not required? :?
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riverrock liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:2yrs, 2 months? :?

What am I not immediately understanding? :D

You only need 1 hour with an instructor in the second of your 2 years to revalidate an SEP rating.
Say you need to revalidate by 31st December 2021. If you do your 1 hour with an instructor on January 1st 2021 (so beginning of your second year) that will allow you to revalidate on 31st December 2021 until 31st December 2023. You don't need to do another hour until the end of 2023 to revalidate again.

In my case, my SEP expires End April. I've done an hour with an instructor already, earlier this year, getting up to speed again as per club rules. As such, I don't need another hour with an instructor till end April 2023. So 2 years, 2 months, 1 week away :D

In reality, I'm out of club currency rules again (30 days for tailwheel) so I'll probably be up with an instructor again soon. Not an issue for me as my Father-in-law is an instructor.
Miscellaneous liked this