Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The CAA did not classify identifying nav lights in flight as a critical task. IIRC, the only critical tasks were the PAPIs and something about parking at an air bridge.

I suspect that aircraft are easier to spot at night than during daytime, and there are clues other than colour that allow pilots to predict flight paths. During the day it is likely that many aircraft would simply have gone unseen anyway.
cjrpaterson liked this
Rob P wrote:
cjrpaterson wrote:The only other reason I can think of is recognising port/starboard nav. lights?

I might have little or no difficulty recognising them.

But I am b*gg*r*d if I can remember which is which.

Rob P

The wife of a fellow pilot has a most remarkable "condition" (if that's the right word): though perfectly intelligent in every way, she struggles with left and right. If they're out driving in their car (LH steering) and she wants him to take a left she has to say "turn to your side". She can figure out the right word, but only after a mental effort.
QSD wrote:The CAA did not classify identifying nav lights in flight as a critical task. IIRC, the only critical tasks were the PAPIs and something about parking at an air bridge.

hmm.. how about distinguishing red from green flares/lamps ? :)

[part of groundschool syllabus in UK and Canada when I took them, and I've used them (successfully :wink: ) flying in both countries]
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:The wife of a fellow pilot has a most remarkable "condition" (if that's the right word): though perfectly intelligent in every way, she struggles with left and right. If they're out driving in their car (LH steering) and she wants him to take a left she has to say "turn to your side". She can figure out the right word, but only after a mental effort.

Think we discussed that before on here, certainly I do often say left when I mean right or vice versa when navigating in cars, as a mate of mine will grumpily point out (he will also mention my tendency to nod off after an hour or so!). I am left handed which I think has been offered as an explanation. Interestingly, I don't think I do it when giving directions to lost car drivers from the safety of the pavement, nor when I've been flying as a passenger though I do tend to point in the appropriate direction which perhaps I should do in cars...

I have also been known to write NW when I mean NE - no idea if that's the same mental "left/right brain swap" or just something odd about my moral compass... :lol:
By PeteSpencer
akg1486 wrote:The wife of a fellow pilot has a most remarkable "condition" (if that's the right word): though perfectly intelligent in every way, she struggles with left and right. If they're out driving in their car (LH steering) and she wants him to take a left she has to say "turn to your side". She can figure out the right word, but only after a mental effort.

Simples: he needs to teach her the Nursery school reminder ‘L’ for Left:

But I’m guessing he’d have to teach her English first. :lol:
By GeorgeJLA
Many years ago (96?) when I went to Gatwick to do a Class 1 I discovered I was Colour Blind! I had never realised, and as far as I was concerned I could see colour pretty normal (at least people told me what I thought was Green was indeed Green etc)

Ended up with a Class 3 Restricted to Day which led me to stopping flying lessons after only 9 hours.

After learning about the CAD test many years later I took one at City University in 2016 and came in well under the threshold that was required for a Class 1.

Anyway, that enabled me to get a Class 2 unrestricted (after my AME fought with the CAA computer system to change it).

Now if I went for a Class 1, would I have to retake it, or is that it?

G