Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Out of Denver too. High and heavy wherever they were going. The memory items for engine severe damage include pulling the fire handle which shuts off all fluids to the engine so engine oil and ancillary bits are all that’s left. Looking at the picture though the fire bottles would be pretty useless as they discharge into the ancillary space between the cowling and the engine and rely on that contained space to work.

Another well handled day at the office hopefully terminating in beer.
T6Harvard, Charles Hunt, Flyin'Dutch' and 2 others liked this
On a day like that, it’s probably just as well it’s impossible to see the wings from the cockpit!! :shock:

As explained, Denver is probably one of the worst places to lose an engine. Luckily it’s still fairly cold in Colorado. Although the failure occurred a good while after take-off.

What a shame houses were struck by debris when KDEN is such a staggeringly enormous airport!

I guess it was an overweight landing too?
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
26 years old, P & W engines with a known problem of engine intake issues. Serial no 5 !!!!!

The 747 looks like std white tail Air America style sneaky beaky stuff. Langley will send a new engine overnight :pirat:
Friend elsewhere suggested you’d probably be below MLW on departure DEN-HNL with current loads so no dumping required.

Even at this time of year, density altitude of nearly 7000’, TAS in the order of 170 at final approach speed - as I say, well handled day at the office!
I’ve flown to USA in a 777:

Seriously brine tryser stuff if that happened mid Atlantic . :shock: especially if lack of cowl containment stopped extinguisher bottle putting residual engine fire out :

Would a WW2 burning Lancaster style dive do the job?
The DC10 guys used to tease us 330 drivers about twin ops. So I asked an Engineer - what happens if you are en route Barbados, in the middle and you blow a window and decompress ?

Shut No2 down....... Insufficient fuel

I rest my case - twin ops, less to go wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Josh wrote:Friend elsewhere suggested you’d probably be below MLW on departure DEN-HNL with current loads so no dumping required.

Even at this time of year, density altitude of nearly 7000’, TAS in the order of 170 at final approach speed - as I say, well handled day at the office!

There were 240 pax on board which is pretty much full!!