Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
russp wrote:..

That's 'Brilliant' except directly to the front where it's most needed ..

MattL wrote: ..

Don’t forget those charts are ground station reception, not air to air...

From usual position of technical ignorance :oops: , and happy to be enlightened/corrected ..

Transmission/reception radio path between aircraft in level flight with a vertically mounted antenna and a groundstation is always going to be somewhat downwards. For a SE2 in a conventional SEP working on its inbuilt antenna mounted within the cockpit area, that forward/downward path is going to be through the engine compartment for a significant 'forward' sector/arc. Could that partially explain the sectoral attenuation in the diagram ? Is there a similar forward (or double lateral) sectoral attenuation forward in the diagram of a light twin, does anyone know ?

Obviously, that may affect air-air detection with the other aircraft below, which would be an extra hazard if that lower aircraft is also climbing; but maybe less so (or not at all) for aircraft at same height or higher.

at 5 nm at 3000ft the angle between the horizontal and a direct line to the ground station is only 6 degrees. (Tan-1 of 3000/30000) so it's really not looking down much. It does indicate some shielding by something though .. engine or humans is the best bet but still shows a somewhat less than ideal positioning.
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
A word of warning (already mentioned elsewhere )if you bought from Harry M by credit card:

The CAA threw out my Worldpay receipt despite the price and payee being clearly mentioned : They wanted a headed HM receipt:

Obviously an order acknowledgment is not acceptable either.

HM do not normally email a receipt- instead they bung a paper receipt in the delivery package which you are expected to scan and send off to CAA as your evidence:

Alternatively a quick phone call to HM will elicit an emailed receipt also. :wink:
By GrahamB
malcolmfrost wrote:FWIW my rebate receipt is numbered 4322, at the top of the thread on 16th Feb the total was 1488 of which 868 were SE2. So we could have another 1700 SE2 units in the system if they are bought at the same rate.

Or another 1700 PIlotAwares (numbering logic aside).
GrahamB wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:FWIW my rebate receipt is numbered 4322, at the top of the thread on 16th Feb the total was 1488 of which 868 were SE2. So we could have another 1700 SE2 units in the system if they are bought at the same rate.

Or another 1700 PIlotAwares (numbering logic aside).

No, the point is that if originally there were 1488 EC sold and we know 868 were SE2. (that’s known)

Then if it continued at the same ratio then there’s about 2600 sold SE2 in total.

There would be 1700 MORE on top of the 868.

2600 new SE2 in the GA fleet is very positive.

1700 new PAW that can see them is also positive.

(remember, PAW equipped aircraft are invisible to everyone else unless they carry ADSB in some form)

That’s all on top of existing numbers. I feel safer already!

Now we just have to convince Tiger Moths to transmit!
gaznav liked this
By johnm
One of the interesting experiences from using traffic service is that the aircraft that are a factor generally fall into one of 2 categories, those transponding and gliders. All the other traffic generally seems to be lower, typically 3000ft or less some of it outputting Mode C/S.

The areas of the London TMA where it drops to 2500 ft are obvious exceptions to this.

Is this a typical experience I wonder??
I spent an hour under a traffic service (Delia International) on my last engine health flight.

The only traffic called was F-15s and KC-135s.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
My oft-repeated in the pub experience with Norwich (yes it was a long time ago, before Class D) was when I was doing my revalidation flight with an instructor (or whatever it was called then) with the late Gerry Honey,-Ex RAF, Harrier pilot, CFI and examiner and all-round good bloke.

We were in the arrer, a few miles west of Norwich when there was a loud whoosh and roar and a Tonka did an almighty arc right to left about 500m ahead and over the top of us and disappeared in a steep dive off our left wingtip.

We didn't need to look for his wingman.

Ten seconds later from Norwich: 'keep a good lookout for fastjet traffic'- or words to that effect.

Gerry's response included words that I had not heard before or since............ :wink:
By TopCat
Can TCAS see ADS-B? And if not, do commercial aircraft have other EC kit that can?

The reason I ask is that out of an abundance of caution, I carefully ensured that my shiny new SE2's ADS-B transmit was off when I fired it up for the first time. And again, before entering my aircraft reg and hex code.

Obviously I wouldn't want to give the traffic passing by at about half a mile on the 27L localiser at Heathrow a TCAS or other kind of traffic alert.

Was I right to be concerned? Presumably there are rules covering impersonating an aircraft in flight just as there are covering impersonating an ATCO?
TopCat wrote:Can TCAS see ADS-B? And if not, do commercial aircraft have other EC kit that can?

The reason I ask is that out of an abundance of caution, I carefully ensured that my shiny new SE2's ADS-B transmit was off when I fired it up for the first time. And again, before entering my aircraft reg and hex code.

Obviously I wouldn't want to give the traffic passing by at about half a mile on the 27L localiser at Heathrow a TCAS or other kind of traffic alert.

Was I right to be concerned? Presumably there are rules covering impersonating an aircraft in flight just as there are covering impersonating an ATCO?

Some TCAS types can ‘see’ ADS-B. ACAS X and ETCAS fitted to the A330 (like the RAF’s Voyager) uses ADS-B to enhance the TCAS features and reduce the number of interrogations of Mode S. So, yes, it can depending on the type.

However, there are also situational awareness displays fitted to various Airbus and Boeing aircraft too - ATSAW is Airbus and CDTI in Boeing. Both can detect and display ADS-B on navigation displays for situational awareness. :thumright:
kanga liked this
I believe the SE2 can be set so it doesn't transmit until it's airbourne. I thought it was an airspeed and altitude 'switch' that can be set up but I don't have one, so don't know for sure. I'm sure Gaznav et al can furnish you with more details.
Doing a bit more reading and the other big advantage of SIL=1 is that the Avidyne TAS6XXA series and Garmin TAS like fitted to a lot of commercial training Diamonds and Seneca’s etc will now display the SE2 output. Quite a useful addition for those of us flying around Oxford etc
gaznav liked this