Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For a completely different mission...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57122914

China has successfully landed a spacecraft on Mars, state media announced early on Saturday.

The six-wheeled Zhurong robot was targeting Utopia Planitia, a vast terrain in the planet's northern hemisphere.

The vehicle used a combination of a protective capsule, a parachute and a rocket platform to make the descent.

The successful touchdown is a remarkable achievement, given the difficult nature of the task.

Only the Americans have really mastered landing on Mars until now. All other countries that have tried have either crashed or lost contact soon after reaching the surface.
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The successful touchdown is a remarkable achievement, given the difficult nature of the task.

Only the Americans have really mastered landing on Mars until now. All other countries that have tried have either crashed or lost contact soon after reaching the surface.[/i]

Not that I'm a remotely cynical type, but given this Chinese success, I do wonder about NASA's cyber security.
By johnm
Much of the strategic approach used by the Americans is in the public domain. The Chinese, Russians, Israelis and North Koreans are the top hackers and might have been able to get some of the code used, but NSA, GCHQ and the Israelis are the top cyber defence players, so who knows?
Last edited by johnm on Mon May 17, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Dave W wrote:NSA, not NASA, surely?

Yup, finger trouble :oops: NASA has been hacked, though only in less sensitive areas AFAIK, and NSA advises them....
By RisePilot
johnm wrote:Much of the strategic approach used by the Americans is in the public domain. The Chinese, Russians, Israelis and North Koreans are the top hackers and might have been able to get some of the code used, but NSA, GCHQ and the Israelis are the top cyber defence players, so who knows?

I wouldn't be so confident/warm with that notion that the good guys always have the best tools. This phrase re cyber attacks:

"Right now, there are things that we can do to other countries, that if they could do the same to us, we couldn't defend ourselves."

I won't note when/where this was said, but the person (and his level) made it quite disconcerting.
johnm liked this